Connect a router behind DSL-2750U

• Thread starter Thread starter GunaRam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,765
ISP
BSNL wire and mobile
Dear friends,

Due to the thickness of concrete walls, I don’t get good signal in my room of 1st floor. Wall jack of DSL line and D-Link Dsl-2750U are in the ground floor. Ground floor & 1st floor linked with Ehernet cable (picture 1).

So, I want to add a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (which I have already) in the first floor to my D-Link Dsl-2750U in the ground floor.

For settings of Linksys (1st floor-see picture 2), when I put the default IP address: 192.168.1.1 in internet web page, I get the modem D-Links’ page instead of Linksys.

I tried also with 192.168.2.1, no connection: Time out.

I’m a senior citizen and I try to do my-self. I made settings and used this router before moving to Puducherry and it worked. I'm not able to upload pictures. Sorry.

Can you please advise me if you find a solution?

Sending me also a step by step guide link for the settings of my Linksys would be also very much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Ram

There are two ways you can do it:
1) By bridging and using the Linksys one as the router or
2) Using the Linksys one as a wireless access point leaving the routing jobs to the D-Link. I'd opt for this because it's easier to setup.

If you want to bridge :
1. Connect the D-Link modem directly to the PC you are using to configure it.
2. Open 192.168.1.1 and set the D-Link modem to bridge mode.
3. Connect the Linksys router directly and open it's config at 192.168.1.1 (the default probably).
2. Set up the Linksys router with your isp's pppoe username and password, wifi ap settings and password.

If you want to use the linksys one as just an access point:
1. Connect the Linksys router directly to the PC.
2. Open 192.168.1.1 and change Linksys to access point mode. Something like this guide.
3. Just connect it to any ethernet cable coming off the back of the D-Link modem.

Now you'll have two access points, the one coming from the D-Link and the Linksys. You can either keep both or just disable the one on the D-Link.

Dear Adithya,
Thank you very much for yours great helps. Your 2nd idea seems me very good. But, I have an old Linksys version V4.30.14 (like me) and this is also in French. So, I don't see Access Point (AP) in administration zone. I'll ask a gentleman to come and do settings as per your advice. .Thanks again:)

Back