Do i need a modem/switch or what for BSNL Broadband?

• Thread starter Thread starter dragonball
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,095

dragonball

ߪδə ЩªĻª
ISP
Airtail
Goodevening, i am planning to install BSNL broadband. I will share the broadband connection with my 2 PCs. I already have a 6port "switch"(Netgear) through which i used to access SIFY broadband with other people. So, will this switch(netgear FS608) (FS608 - NETGEAR.com) work? or will i need to buy a modem also? Also, how is (technically) BSNL broadband different than SIFY broadband? please help. thank you,

you need to have BSNL land line phone to get broadband connection and a ADSL modem/router is also required . you can take it on rentor purchase it from BSNL (if available) OR you can buy from market . your Netgear switch works on BSNL broadband connection . BSNL broadband works on ADSL technology . it is different from Sify . if you are a serious uploader then BSNL broadband may not suit ...

@seshu: 1)so i donot need to buy an ADSL modem/router if i already have that Netgear switch?2)Will i be able to connect 2 PCs thru a single bsnl broadband?3)I heard that BSNL mischarge quite a lot of time..like charging that free 12am-6am time slot. Is it so?(Ah, i know what is ADSL... i m not a serious uploader...BSNL should do.)

^ you will need a modem . perhaps my wordings were not clear !
the modem can be taken on rent from BSNL or you can buy it
from BSNL or from market .

you can connect two computers thru a single BSNL broadband connection .

BSNL broadband's home 500 plan has night unlimited from 2AM - 8AM .
it is better to use night unlimited from 2:10 AM up to 7:50 AM .

@Gupta , Airtel broadband is supposed to be a better service for
uploading ( although its technology is similar to BSNL's ADSL ... )

@seshu: u said "your Netgear switch works on BSNL broadband connection. "why will i need the Netgear switch (what will be its role?) if i still need an ADSL modem? I mean cant it act as an ADSL modem also?(switch is supposed to be more advanced).can i still connect 2 PCs with single BSNL connection without using a switch?

^ the switch is used to expand your network . we still need a
modem to connect to internet ( ADSL broadband connection )

if you have a modem cum router with multiple ports then you
do not need a switch to connect two computers to internet .

A general configuration diagram is available here to connect two computers to internet by using a switch .

got it.. which modem(from bsnl) do you recommend if i wanna use 2 PCs for single BSNL conn?

^ you will need a type III or type IV modem from BSNL .if you want to connect a Laptop using wifi in future thenyou have to opt for a type IV modem ( otherwise type III ) .if BSNL has no modems in stock and if they ask you to buya modem from market then you can try for a good qualitymodem having 2 or more ethernet ports ( with a wifi port ifrequired ) . It could be from Netgear or Linksys or D-Link ...

Back