DTH googly: Consumers to pay more for new channels

• Thread starter Thread starter ajuravi007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 9,171
i logged in at 10am to post this news but to my suprise "jjvj was banned till 2 days" so i did not understand what to do....... so now i created this temporary id and posted......

anyhow thanks aju for posting this thread.. :thumbsup: there is also another news will find it and let u know... i just closed that page..
are you really jjvj.:confused:

trai has set some specifications for dth service providers. the one i am interested in is returning the hardware to get a refund.

Its time to force these DTH players to provide channel on la carte basis
This will happen at some point of time. We need to wait for that.

What is the rent paid by the DTH provider (Tata Sky or dishtv) for the transponders? I understand, the tv channels have to pay Rs. 25 lakhs to Prasarbharati (reduced progressively from one crore), for uplinking on DD direct. If the TV channels have ads built in, how does tatasky/dishtv can generate additional revenue? The revenue they collect from value added services must be a pittance.

I think ISRO was talking of something like 6 crores per tp.---------DTH companies have 3 revenue streams:1. Monthly subscription.2. VAS.3. Carriage fees collected from FTA channels for getting onto their platform.

Thats where they should charge around 100/- pm plus tax for FTA channels. They do not have to pay for FTA channels and can recover the transponder cost as well. 25L is the carriage fee for being included in the DDD + DTH and not the fee paid to the transponders.

I think ISRO was talking of something like 6 crores per tp.

---------
DTH companies have 3 revenue streams:
1. Monthly subscription.
2. VAS.
3. Carriage fees collected from FTA channels for getting onto their platform.

Private channels are paying 25 lakhs per channel to Prasarbharati as carriage fees. Does Prasarbharati or DD pays Tata Sky for including 30 odd channels in tatasky bouquet? I am not very clear.

DD is an exception. Govt. companies won't pay a single cent. They will jump on on (sic) the basis of the must-carry-so-and-so-channels law.

Back