Enabled port forwarding on router, unable to access application over the internet

Nitish Sharma

Greetings everyone!!

I am based out of Delhi and have an airtel xstream connection. I recently configured a NAS server. I want to be able to access the server over the internet but am unable to do so. My router is ZTE F670L.

Firstly, I am trying to access plex media server as it is the simplest. The NAS server is assigned the private IP address 192.168.1.50 I can access plex from within the network at 192.168.1.50:32400/web/ I have enable port forwarding as per below given screenshot. For trying to access the server over the internet, I fetch my public IP from whatismyip.com and connect to [insert my public IP here]:32400/web/

FcWRkoA.webp

Please find below screenshot of plex settings wherein I have specified public port 32400 to route to the private port 32400.

AeMCxXD.webp

I also tried enabling DMZ to the IP of the server and disabling firewall within the router, none of which worked. I raised a complaint in Airtel, the backend team said that they don't block ports and all they can help with is giving me a router that supports port forwarding but can't help me post that. I don't have a static IP but am willing to get it if that will help my case. Further, I read online that bridging might help in case of ONT but I don't understand the process.

Requesting support from the veterans of this forum who might have some experience with this and might be willing to help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your WAN Port under the Port-Forwarding config will be 32400-32400.

Go to your router's internet page → status → WAN → check the IP received.
If it's in anything different from the Public IP 122.162 that you see in your Plex (e.g. 100.68...). Then you will need to get a static IP.

Alternative solutions, if you do not want static IP.
1. VPN
2. Plex Premium (I believe they offer proxy, never tried since I use Jellyfin)

Thanks for the revert, my IP is starting with 100.111. Just to clarify if I am looking at the correct place, please find below screenshot. I guess I am behind a CGNAT?

22Ypfiu.webp

I guess I would go for static IP as I don't want to go through the hassle of VPN on every device I need to connect to. Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, quick update, I got a static IP, Airtel had to change my router to AOT-4221SR and now I can enable port forwarding. Thanks

I just wish Airtel was able to help me better, didn't like their service and commitment to timelines even a bit. Thanks to @Lolita_Magnum else I would have switched my ISP by now.

Your configuration is wrong. Protocol should be TCP. WAN Port should be the 32400 : 32400. Using 1 - 65535 is very unsafe because your are opening all the ports to your NAS. Better way of doing this would be to set DMZ if you want all the ports to be open to your NAS. You can use canyouseeme(dot)org to check if your port is accessible from the internet. And there is no need for Static IP since Plex uses its own Dynamic DNS to resolve server addresses.

Back