Enabling Bridge mode not possible now without static IP address because of CG-NAT?

• Thread starter Thread starter archduke
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 2,695
Update:

Registered a complaint again and this time I followed @gmaster advice and taunted with threat to disconnect if router not replaced with another one which has the DHCP, DNS and other settings unlocked or enable these in my current router via backend. Got a call back after 1 reminder email and 3 days.

The technician came and I told him a fake made issue with cannot be replicated. I told him all my devices just lose internet connection for 2-3 mins randomly with no LOS led in the router. Then everything will work for 3/4 hours and again the same issue. I told him a technician had previously visited and tried resetting the router but it did not fix it. He asked me for how long did you hold the reset button and since I knew about 30-30-30 technique that is used for hard resetting routers, I told him he was holding the reset button for 2/3 mins or something like that.

Finally then he called up his TL and they created an order ID for replacing the router and they issued me DZSI H660GM-A as the replacement router.

This router is much better than the trash GX2122A and has most settings unlocked. I haven't spent much time with it and I'll add some pictures later for anyone who needs it. Enabling or Disabling DCHP server was not available. but DCHP address reservation etc was unlocked.

I have Nokia G-2425G-A router . recently I started facing speed issues with 2.4Ghz band. They tried all the options like reload, back end reset etc.. but nothing helped. Technician says that he can connect one mesh router but again the settings will be blocked on that. I wanted to buy my own router and connect it in bridge mode.

Will this Nokia router supports connecting in bridge mode. If so, please suggest available options to buy from local market instead getting from Airtel again!!

@sgajjala I’m not particularly familiar with the Nokia device, but for Airtel in general to enable bridge mode, it must be done from the backend. The folks at [email protected] are relatively more helpful than the usual support channels. If they do enable it, then you can connect any router on the allocated bridge port on the Nokia device.

If you do not want to involve Airtel and deal with their drama, you could procure your own basic ONT, priced around 1000 Rs. With this you’d clone the Airtel device’s serial and connect the fiber directly to this ONT. After that you can configure it the way you like and use it with your own wireless router system.

Personally I’ve had success with Huawei HG8120C ONT and Digisol GR6011 (the same model is available from other brands like Syrotech Netlink DBC etc). Some users have had success with TP-Link XZ000 series. Of that the G7 variant has low compatibility with Airtel (varies with the area though). The G3 variant has better success rate but availability now isn’t that great.

@sgajjala Get a new ONU + Router combo

Get this TP-Link V2 model

Then update it's firmware from here

Clone GPON SN and use VLAN 100.

In Router, use PPPoE or Static IP settings and enjoy total control over your connection. Phone calling doesn't work but who "really" uses telephones at home these days?

The only problem with this approach is that Airtel will again insist on replacing ONU if you take 1gbps plan.

@MrGordon , @akshay71 thanks for your inputs. However when I checked with router settings, I see the bridge mode option under LAN1-4 ports
file:///C:/Users/sgajjala/Desktop/Capture.JPG
Is this the option you are talking about? When Airtel technician visited my home, he explained something like have a LAN connection from Nokia ONT to mesh router and then configure that external router for 2.4 and 5G Hz bands. All that he asked me to pay 1800
What do you guys suggest. Do you want me to go ahead with his router ?

Or else I can do it on my own If I know the correct router to purchase!! Please suggest

@sgajjala last time I checked, Nokia router didn't need intervention from backend. You just need to enable bridge mode in the webui and set a a LAN port for that. When I had the Nokia, I enabled bridge mode for three LAN ports (kept aside one port for webui access) and connected three ports separately to three WAN ports of my router (multi wan router) to aggregate bandwidth. But not sure if things have changed now. In any case, you can always enable bridge mode from backend if you can get to the right person in airtel.

Back