Facing weird speed issue with BSNL .. diff speed in diff PC .. pls HELP

• Thread starter Thread starter cage
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,372

cage

ISP
BSNL
I am using BSNL broadband connection for many years. The laptop also I am using for last 2 years. My BB plan is Combo 600 which gives me 2 mbps speed. For last 2 months, I am getting very low download speed ~ 1 mbps ... upload speed even lower 50-64 kbps!! I complained several times to BSNL and they do had some issues with server but now they said problem is over ... but I am still facing low speed issue. Today some engineer from BSNL came with his laptop ... used my connection to test speed ... and he got 2 mbps (almost) download speed with 360 kbps upload speed!!

I am not being able to understand how speed can be different in two different laptop for same connection. I have windows XP SP2, Acer Aspire 1640 Laptop with 2GB RAM, 60 GB HDD ... slow but working fine

Can it be for any Anti-virus issue? I use AVG Anti-virus 2013 Free edition. Or it could be other software issue? or some hardware issue? do I need to format and install XP again? I am handling computers for last 12 years ... may not be expert but not really novice. Still really baffled and not finding the reason why this is happening!

Can anyone please help me with a probable reason and solution. I would be really thankful. Many thanks in advance

I am facing the same issues. Their servers are being very random these days. Sometimes internet works perfectly and sometimes it's totally down with low speeds. I think when bsnl guy attached his laptop then bsnl servers were in good condition. Don't worry. Nothing to do with your laptop!

Try installing the latest drivers. I'm surprised that you have not installed SP3. Anyway, how are you connected to the router - over wifi or ethernet?

Actually when the BSNL guy came ... he checked in his laptop and soon after I checked in my laptop. So there must be some reason why we are getting two diff result (specially for upload speed) in two diff PCI am using SP2 for years and regularly got full speed. So it may not be driver issueIs it for Anti-virus? Or any other reason? Any suggestions will be welcome

Drivers have been known to get corrupted over time. Check it out. That is the usual 1st step of troubleshooting. Next is the type of encryption if you are on wifi.

Back