FAQ about New Airtel Broadband Connection in Chennai - MMDA

@uberjon.... Lol really...is their any remote possibility of termination or fine ??

They hate when a customer leaves their services. So no. No one would temper without your connection.

Man. I hope I never have to order Airtel connection again. This sounds horrible.

Finally .... Got the new Airtel broadband connection :happy::happy::happy:

I have a few questions though -

1. I opted for Airtel Super max plan - 1099 @ 2mbps, 9gb FUP. I had clearly instructed the sales rep. not to give me a modem on rent on 50 buck pm . Even though after all these requests .. the installation guy comes and Clearly refuses to use 3 of my modems - a UTSTARCOM UT300R2U, ZTE ZXDSL 831- II series and a crappy netfox ADSL modem. After all his ranting and talking about "TR069" .. I gave up coz i wanted the Damned Connection :speechless: and let him use the BEETEL 450 TC3.

There's no reason for that. If you're capable of configuring your own modem, take/send their modem back anyway.

TR069 is a nifty little protocol used by providers to auto-configure end user devices (DSL/Cable/FTTH modems) remotely. If TR069 was necessary, he wouldn't need to be at your house because all you'd need to do is plug in the modem, call the activation number with the MAC address and the rest is done by a script on their server.

2.I stood behind him making a NOTE ABOUT ALL THE STUFF THAT HE DOES TO CONFIGURE. Here they are
  1. First 122.160.224.44 to activate the DSL.. during which he downloaded a JAVA installer about 15 mb in size.
  2. Then 192.168.1.1 to config. the crappy Beetel 450 TC3.. regular admin and password stuff. He noted down the MAC address which he'll be using to Configure the connection later.
  3. He asked me to give an appropriate Username and Password for the main account.
  4. After which he configured the wifi connectivity .... D-Faq.. only 4 wifi devices limitation acc. to MAC address ?? :mad::mad:
  5. He gave an individual Username and password for each of my wifi device :sick:.
  6. After all this shitty configuration .. 203.145.18.14 .. Airtel Speed Check :nerd: ..

With TR069, all of this should be completely unnecessary. Maybe repeat the steps on your own modem. You may have to call customer care and get the MAC assignment reset on your account changed if they have implemented MAC locking/binding (not likely with DSL but I wouldn't put it past them).

3.After all this hassle.. He called up the Airtel CC using my Landline :cry:.. Stupid guy used my landline to make calls to his airtel mates for about 20-25 mins. .. Pathetic !!! and at the end of the day.. watches youtube videos.. NOTE: Songs ..with blaring volume in my House without my permissin :swear::swear:.

Well that's just not professional :(

5.He also installed a software called - Airtel netexpert !!.. Really Donno what it does :shake:

Nor do I, can't comment. Probably just more bloatware like what Tata/Reliance sticks install (or possibly a remote access tool so when you call up they can ask to log in to your system to check stuff, like VNC or Teamviewer)

Discrepancies noted:
  • The ping in my PC is 19ms :D... but in my phone they give me about 450-700 ms :sweating::sweating: ?? . Why is that ??
  • During the first step the modem was able to access the internet and download files( read JAVA) .. So why these unnecessary steps ??
  • Please give me procedure regarding the setup using anyone of the above mentioned modems that I already have ..

If your phone's GSM/CDMA or 3G radio is on it may be that. Otherwise, it may be your phone (or their WiFi router) has a crappy WiFi radio. Or something else entirely. Try pinging a known local IP address. I have a list of IPs all over India, but in Chennai you could try:
  • 182.19.95.68 - Chennai, TN (Vodafone AS55410)
  • 202.148.202.180 - Chennai, TN (Aircel/Dishnet AS10201)
  • 223.224.43.250 - Chennai, TN (Airtel AS45609, AS9498)
  • 116.202.226.81 - Chennai, TN (MTS India AS131222)

NOTE: I have managed to hookup the Beetel modem with my TP-Link router... Managed to eliminate the limitation for max. devices and reduced the ping levels in phone. But lose the connectivity when I change the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

By lose connectivity, do you mean "can't ping google.com" or do you mean "can't even ping 8.8.8.8 anymore"? Changing DNS shouldn't have an effect on IP connectivity but if, for some reason, they're blocking port 53 or known public DNS such as 8.8.8.8 and 208.67.220.220 then you might have trouble resolving domains using non-Airtel DNS.

If you really wanted to have fun, you could try adding a domain or 2 to your hosts file then changing your DNS - if your PC goes to the specified domain but nothing else, then Airtel is messing with it -- hard-coding Google is sometimes a good idea because a lot of malware has the effect of basically blocking many sites - especially Google/Yahoo - from working (which would force you to use Bing - oh the horror!) in order to stymie your ability to research how to get rid of it (which the author doesn't want).

Thank you @mgcarley ... That was indeed a very detailed explanation , you almost clarified all my tech. queries. :clap::clap::rofl::rofl:

As for the DNS issue, i solved it myself :wasntme:. Actually it was a matter of entering the same DNS in both the router and the modem..
NOTE : I now use my TP-Link MR 3220 in router mode to get away with their Wifi Device limiting policy. This eventually resolved my high ping issue (as I directly connect to TP Link's SSID). From my point of view (In case i am wrong please forgive me .. I am a NOOB :p).., the high values of ping may be coz the connection from Wifi was redirected to Airtel's servers and then re transmitted to keep the device's MAC address in check .

Thanks once again !! :whew:

Hey Everybody !!!... Its been a long time.
Quick Update : 1 week of using Airtel BB.. Feels Shitty and Good at the same time.

OK ...now for the shitty part .... Airtel is throttling my Torrent downloads to a max of 5KB/s (on a 280KB/s connection !! :cry:).. So practically I have to wait for 6-7 hours to download a 83 MB file with more than 3000 seeds !!:mad:. On the other hand it goes upto 150KB/s on the utorrent android app on my tablet. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS ISSUE :sweating::worried:.

UPDATE :: Fixed the issue by using Vuze as my bittorrent client. But the speeds are Fluctuating like crazy !!!!! (220 - 70 KB/s)

Last edited:

Back