Few questions regarding TP-Link Archer C6

ISP
BSNL Adsl
I have BSNL FTTH connection currently using Syrotech GPON-1110-WDONT I am on 50mbps plan. Though the Wi-Fi is good on this router but it sometimes just hangs have been using this router for 4 years. Now I am thinking of buying TP-Link archer C6 but I have seen many posts regarding the compatibility of this combination.

So my questions are?

1. Is the bridge mode still working in BSNL or it has been banned or will be banned in future. (saw a post on this forum with a circular regarding this)
2. Also is there any issues you are facing with this Archer c6 router should I consider any other router.
3. Is Mac binding still a thing or it has been removed.
4. Any other issues you have encountered or encountering please mention.

@sloj are you using this combination?

@supukabi I now use the Digisol ONT (bridged with RPi 4b Openwrt router) which is basically equivalent to the Syrotech ONT you are using. I temporarily replaced it with TP-Link XC220-G3v back when there was no WAN MAC address binding and things were fine as far as I remember. With the C6 or any router you may have to ask for MAC address reset. I haven't faced any issue with cloning MAC address on the Openwrt router. My friend who lives nearby uses the A6 with the same Syrotech ONT but in access point mode only and he hasn't mentioned anything odd yet.

When you say hangs, what exactly happens? Provide some details, like does it stops and restarts, led lights flashing, etc. If you have a bigger budget buy something else other than C6, perhaps AX23 or something else.

@sloj hangs means I am connected to the Wi-Fi but can’t access the internet also at that time I can’t access router main page via Wi-Fi but can access via computer lan it’s not regular but happens 2 to 3 times in a week. My ONT almost 4 years old it’s work swiftly but Wi-Fi hiccups are there.
I don’t have a bigger budget because my devices are limited to 4 or 5 also I use it only for home purposes and little bit of office work.
Also I saw a post on this forum that on bridge mode I can use this TP-Link archer router software means everything will be on it and my Ont will just act like a converter my questions is if I use it in AP mode will I not be using its full potential because my Ont will access the internet. Should have bought the dual band Syrotech router but at that time my vendor charged so much that I have to settle for this.

If you want the C6 to do routing and other tasks then you have to bridge the ONT. I was just laying out options but it's better if you bridge. When you bridge, copy the WAN MAC address from the ONT interface for PPPoE on the router. If it fails to obtain a connection then chances are the process is buggy on the router and you have to ask for a reset.

I don't have the C6. However, it's one of the cheapest router you can get and there might be a few specific issues which only a user can point out. You can check out reviews of AX10 and AX23 if have doubt going with the C6 or any other router you prefer.

Back