Firewall - Nokia router - Tata Play Fiber

• Thread starter Thread starter MaxMumbai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,683
ISP
Tata Play Fiber
Recently got Tata Play Fiber in Mumbai.

I have a mix of ethernet connected devices (TV, NAS) and wifi connected devices (phones, laptops, wifi-speaker, printer). On both 2.4 hz and 5 hz.

Default firewall settings is "Off" on Nokia router. My Devices discover each other without any problem.

When I change the firewall setting to "High' devices only discover other devices on the same wifi band or on ethernet - i e. My mobile connected ok n wifi does not discover my tv connected on ethernet.

My old Netgear router connected to you broadband did not have this problem.

My question is is it ok to leave firewall setting as off? Do i have protection?

If i have to set the firewall to high, what changes do i have to make in the nokia router settings to make my devices discover each other across wifi and ethernet?

The router is G-2425G-A. Can't find anything useful on this through Google search.

Please help.

Tata Play customers are behind CG-NAT so anyway they are publicly inaccessible. Setting firewall to anything wouldn't make any difference.
If you have the option, set firewall level to low that is if this exists. This will ensure port forwarding does not work by default.

Tata Play customers are behind CG-NAT so anyway they are publicly inaccessible. Setting firewall to anything wouldn't make any difference.
If you have the option, set firewall level to low that is if this exists. This will ensure port forwarding does not work by default.
Noob question here: but what about IPv6?
Considering that we have enough IPv6 addresses, it shouldn't be behind a CG-NAT, so can't you port forward on IPv6? 🤔

@RkP You don't need to forward any ports for IPv6. If you want to access any specific port, just add firewall exception for that machine's particular IPv6 address in Nokia router and also add the port you want to access from outside.

@tatyasky I currently have the firewall set to "Disabled" - that's the default the TSBB guy set it up with - that means any port can be accessed at the moment, right?

IPv4 is behind a CG-NAT, so it shouldn't matter anyway. Thanks a lot ;)

Back