• Thread starter Thread starter imdarkray
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 1,063

imdarkray

n00b
ISP
Airtel Xstream, Jio Fiber, Railwire, Siti, Airtel 4G, Jio 4G, VI
I just opened a signature account with RBL last week.
They were saying I will get more net interest in a Saving account than an FD/RD, Is it true?

Last edited:
i don't see how. unless you are making fds for very small time periods. @mhsabir might have some thoughts on this.

if you plan to keep your money in your bank account (instead of investing in stocks or funds or bonds or crypto), FDs are almost always the better choice. especially if you can lock it for longer time periods. savings interest would change. it has been falling down for years now and it looks like it would continue to fall. in a few years, we might end up with no interest like in west.

Exactly. I think the same.
The representative was quite confident about this even after my numerous queries/suspicion.
He said that the FD/RD gives around 6% annually and if I keep this in savings, the interest would be around 6.5 something after calculating on different terms and quarters after a year (considering the amount is large).

their new rates are 6.25% above 10L deposits.
fd highest rate is 6.5% for five years.

so from my understanding... bank interest would come every quarter so it adds up the principal amount every three months.
fd interest if you go for compounding would add interest every year? so savings might fetch you slightly better interest rate?
update: i might be wrong here. even on fds, banks probably pay interest quarterly which would get added to principal account imo. this might depend upon the bank's policy.
update 2: looks like most banks stick to quarterly interest. though rbi has allowed them to go for even lower time periods.

the thing these bankers don't highlight is that. with a 5 year fd, the interest rate won't change. but for savings, your interest would go down every quarter based on what's been happening over the last couple of years.

look at idfc for instance. their fd interest was 6 and bank interest was 7 just few months ago. but their savings interest is down to 4% now within six months. i haven't checked yet but it might be even below 4% from today lol.

so if one can lock away the money in a fd for five years, i would go for the fd in this case.

i would also recommend opening a ppf account for spare cash. crypto, stock etc would probably provide better returns. but if you are like me and want to keep things simple... PPF is a great way to create long term savings. i tend to deposit my fd interest in ppf instead of compounding it in the principal amount.

Last edited:
look at idfc for instance. their fd interest was 6 and bank interest was 7 just few months ago.
About the difference in interest, they said that the FD interest is regulated by RBI, and saving interest is regulated by Bank. I am not sure even this is true or not.

so if one can lock away the money in a fd for five years, i would go for the fd in this case.
About the FD, the lock-in period is something I don't like. I do these FDs every year just to save TDS under 80C.
The FD which is advisable is Sweep-in FD, this gives the flexibility to use the fund whenever required with giving you the best interest possible through the bank.

A little off-topic, I had read somewhere that the Govt provides security up to 5L in case of liquidation/cancellation of a bank's licence. So I feel it's better to diversify the amount in different banks. And this the only reason I even considered RBL to open an account.
@Sushubh Would you be able to provide any suggestions to which bank anyone can opt, considering the services (not general but premier/signature/privilege banking). I already have accounts in ICICI, Kotak, PNB, Citi, HDFC (cc only), SBI (cc only) and now RBL. I liked DBS and want to open an account but can't do it as their KYC can't be done at my native place right now.

The main point as Sushubh pointed out is the locked in rate. Also most banks have a higher rate only beyond a certain amount. So if it's a bigger amount, sure it may give higher returns but given market conditions and direction don't think it's feasible and more or less will drop soon.

5L thing is also kind of dicey. A new report recently stated that a lot of banks have not deposited the funds that are required to guarantee this money in case of bank failure.

i generally prefer to keep my banking simple. but had to get backup accounts after the yes bank fiasco a while ago. i have three at the moment. you have five lol. i mean it gets hard after a point to keep track of it all.

if you have access to large amount of funds, it might be a better idea to get a financial advisor and diversify your investments.

as for fd lockin period. penalties are not that much. i have broken fds before and i would do it again if i need access to funds for any reason.

I keep a few smaller FDs for this so that I don't have to break a bigger one.

Last edited:

Back