Google is shutting down Google Station Free Wi-Fi program in India and globally

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 1,799
Yep, it's already shut down at Aluva station (Ernakulam, Kerala) which I frequent and now they have another WiFi network named Kerala Free WiFi or something similar. I haven't tried it yet.

Google Station while it was available, always worked great and I really loved it.

Apparently the reason for shutting it down is that nowadays more and more people have their own 4G connections on their mobiles, so Google is finding it more and more difficult to monetise the service.

Apparently the reason for shutting it down is that nowadays more and more people have their own 4G connections on their mobiles, so Google is finding it more and more difficult to monetise the service.

If I understood it correctly, Google only provided the platform ie the networking equipment and configuration, the internet connectivity and bandwidth was provided by RailWire or some other partner right?

Yes. But the uptime and seamless user experience is what they brought to the platform. Other companies might not be able to do that.

There was probably a revenue sharing arrangement if users paid for extra usage.

Back