Google plans to push manufacurer to update the phones with latest version.

Yup saw the same thing here:D

I had also read a report that in the recent google & samsung aggreement, google had managed to strong arm samsung stop some of the UI's dev on their tabs & phones. A bit difficult to believe but one can never say.

kreacher10 said:
I had also read a report that in the recent google & samsung aggreement, google had managed to strong arm samsung stop some of the UI's dev on their tabs & phones. A bit difficult to believe but one can never say.
seems quite unlikely. Pretty sure it would be the other way around ie samsung strong arming google. Goggle hardly has any leverage in this field...

Good luck to Google if they think they can get manufacturers to abide by their recommendations now. The bbest they can do is publicly declare old versions as unsupported hence risky to use.

and what about those crappy hardware which is floating all around India un-capable of running anything above Android 2.x smoothly.
they might not be able to update and small players would not stop manufacturing them as entry level phones for sure.

well they have theoretically made kitkat optimized for 512MB devices so they can sort of ask manufacturers to start using it as the base OS for their future devices.
i mean you can accept devices coming out running older devices. but once kitkat is out for 6-8 months, you can no longer use the excuse that the devices were developed with older OS.

Back