Has anyone here built a NAS?

• Thread starter Thread starter ekta_m
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 1,630

ekta_m

ISP
AT&T
I want to built a NAS with an option of 4 drive bays and load FreeNAS.
Has anyone built one himself/herself and can help me with the following queries?
1) Is the hardware (cabinet etc) easily available in Nehru Place market (New Delhi) or Gurgaon?
2) Is it really worthwhile to build one yourself to save costs?
3) What all options do we have apart from Synology in Indian market?
Thanks a lot!

I use a Pogoplug with ArchLinux as a NAS. I think a full fledged NAS server might be overkill for most home users, just get a cheap ARM based machine like the Pogoplug or Raspberry Pi etc. and use Debian/Archlinux on it.If you do want a full fledged NAS though, yes you can get all the components at Nehru Place.If you want a pre made NAS, you can get the Buffalo LS-WXL/E for ~9.3k or the Netgear RND2000 for ~10k. 1TB HDD would cost ~4.3k, 2 TB ~5-6k and 3 TB ~9-10k

^^ i missed seeing this post for so long...
i wanted to build a NAS from scratch using a proper NAS cabinet, power supply etc. but dropped the idea as searching for right parts would have been difficult. i know how to build one from the standpoint of software and hardware involved. it's just that i won't get the desired parts in india,
i am currently using my router as a makeshift NAS. it consumes very less power but lacks a proper OS. i'll make a better one when i get cubietruck.

Parts are available in India, only thing is they are not much put on Display at Nehru Place, yet its full of capable suppliers.
You either need the Direct Contact with them, or Enough Time to visit each store and find out who exactly would be interested in answering your queries
and showing you the equipment.
A friend who built that told me that its hard to locate it directly but he managed to get contact details then he met the dealer in person, he asked him to wait for
a hour or so as it was his shop's peak hour later he showed him the stuff which he bought from him only.
The supplier clearly told he doesn't puts them on display to avoid un-necessary queries and most of the stuff he stocks was supplied to noida/GGN based corporate offices he gets regular orders from.
So if you have friends who work in I.T. of any size corporate office in NCR, he can easily link you and get details whom to contact.

Checking out with IT guys in office will be a nice headstart. My Nehru Place experience is not that good. They won't show the stuff until you pay them full money upfront. And I spotted lots of fakes these days. I used to be a regular at computer empire but they have changed a lot (for worse) now.

Back