• Thread starter Thread starter Jignesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 2,671

Jignesh

Regulars
ISP
Beam Fiber
New Delhi The Delhi High Court has dismissed a plea from direct-to-home operator Tata Sky, seeking that sports broadcaster ESPN be directed to provide High Definition Feed (HDF) signals to its platform for upcoming global sports events Fifa World Cup and Wimbledon.

Rejecting TataSky’s plea, Justice Manmohan Singh said that the global sports broadcaster was still in the process of obtaining permission from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to uplink HDF from the countries hosting the games.

The court further observed that TataSky, a 70:30 joint venture between the Tata Group and broadcast giant Star, does not even have the infrastructure to receive the HDF.

“Another fact is that, at present, the petitioner (TataSky) has no infrastructure for the same (HDF) as admitted by it in its answer... that it will launch it before the Commonwealth Games,” the court further said.

Justice Singh maintained that there was no urgency in the matter as it was already listed before broadcast tribunal TDSAT for scheduled hearing on June 28.

TataSky had approached the court after the Telecom Disputes Settlement & Appellate Tribunal, on June 3, directed ESPN to provide HDF signals. The tribunal also directed the DTH operator and the sports broadcaster to negotiate its terms and conditions.

But TataSky later asked ESPN to provide HDF decoders and other instruments to decode and beam the signals on its platform, a request that the broadcaster did not comply with.

Following this, the DTH operator approached the High Court.

TataSky has submitted before the court that as the two global sporting events - Fifa World Cup and Wimbledon - would be commencing from June 11 and June 21 respectively, the court should decide on the issue urgently.

HC rejects TataSky plea for World Cup HD feed from ESPN - Express India

just putting more stuff could have overload the systems and trouble for non-HD user with the existing infrastructure

Anyways with no availability of HD STBs in market from them, how/why Tata Sky was expecting HD feed?

Check my post above

Check my post above

Yes you are right. I was just saying that Tata Sky may knew that they could lose the case on technical basis, yet they went to court :)
(This reminds me of ZEE-BCCI telecast right case, in which BCCI blamed Zee for not having any broadcast facility yet got telecast right, which ofcourse BCCI awarded, and case was launched by ESS)

SD and BIG TV are even big fools inspite of having HD services they did not negotiate ESPN for HD feed. TS wud anyhow not get HD feed.

Back