Help me choose a Linux Distro?

• Thread starter Thread starter alig
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 70
  • Views Views 17,332
@ Admin - Suppose someone tries to hack (SSH) into your computer (Linux) can they do so without the root Username and Password? If not what is the whole point of Firewall. Maybe it would be useful to stop access of miscellaneous software from accessing Internet and trying to share sensitive information (like a trojan) But wait, all the software (Pretty Much ) come from App. Store/ Reliable sources anyway, so the chances of having these software on Linux system are very low. So My question is - How useful is Firewall, except for the fact that it Will consume resources like CPU and Ram to Run in the background. I have never used Firewall, since I dont know last few years and never had any problem on my Linux Laptop.

well you can of course disable the unnecessary services... services like SSH are not really required on a desktop machine right? i am not really an expert in linux security. but i guess researching into disabling services on a desktop machine is worth the effort.

I use SSH to SSH into My iPhone. Dont know if its only iphone SHH which is need for that or Linux SSH service needs to be enabled for that. Also I think they are going to depend on SSH in order for 10.04 to be able to access iPhone.

SSH the command is not dependent upon if your own machine is configured to accept SSH requests. :Pi mean if you run a FTP client to FTP into a web server, that does not mean your own machine is a FTP server.

if you guys already like ubuntu then you will be blown away by the next release coming after 1 month... version 10.04 aka Lucid Lynx :Di will start another thread for it...

downloaded the beta. could not install it coz my desktop literally crashed. both the RAM chips are faulty and now sent for replacements. back to the old Dell laptop.

i am having trouble with installing a flash player for 9.10. I cannot view youtube, not any of the embedded Youtube videos in of the threads over here...i am using chrome as my browser...AC

try searching for chrome flash on google... i think if you run chrome beta version you can simply copy the flash plugin file from mozilla folder into chrome plugin folder and it should work - but i dont remember - it was working for me... just well... JFGI....

Back