help needed in WINDOWS XP...

• Thread starter Thread starter trillian
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,840

trillian

ISP
dataone
I got the following error message when i restarted my computer"A DISK READ ERROR"PRESS CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTARTSo i gave my hard disk to Seagate company and got it repaired.Yesterday i installed windows xp. At the end of xp installation my computer restarted and again i am getting the same error, once again showing the following:"A DISK READ ERROR"PRESS CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTARTNow i tried to reinstall my xp with an boot cd but it is not showing the message "press any key to boot from cd"And friends tell me what is the problem and how can i solve this problem?please help me...

i guess the hard disk is still not in working condition... maybe the company gave you back the same drive without any fixes.

I got the following error message when i restarted my computer

"A DISK READ ERROR"
PRESS CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTART

So i gave my hard disk to Seagate company and got it repaired.

Yesterday i installed windows xp.

At the end of xp installation my computer restarted and again i am getting the same error, once again showing the following:

"A DISK READ ERROR"
PRESS CTRL + ALT + DEL TO RESTART

Your HDD has bad sectors...get it replaced.

Now i tried to reinstall my xp with an boot cd but it is not showing the message "press any key to boot from cd"

And friends tell me what is the problem and how can i solve this problem?

please help me..

Press DEL key when you start your comp (press it several times till you go to bios) once in bios change your boot preference. Choose your DVD/CD driver as first boot device. and It will ask you "Press any key to boot from CD" If still doesn't ask either your DVD/CD driver is bad or your Xp CD is curropt.

Hope it helps

When you start up your pc, get into the BIOS and change the Boot Priority to CD-ROM.

While you're on the BIOS screen, check if your hard disk is listed.

IF you are able to boot from the XP CD, get into the Recovery mode and at the command prompt type fixboot. Then type fixmbr.

Once your're done with the CD, don't forget to put your HDD back to being the first boot device in the BIOS.

Also, check the IDE cables. Don't use the same IDE port for your hard disk and CD-ROM.

If you have multiple RAM sticks, try using one at a time, and on a different slot.

From Google search ' a disk read error' Extract.
For those of you having this problem, Here's your answer. Those of you have different brand computers, need to get into the BIOS. First, when you first turn on the computer, the post boot screen will come on, look for where it will tell you what key to press to get into the BIOS. All systems are different, some are done by pressing the F2 key, or the F11 key, others are the DEL key. On Compaqs and HP, uses the F11 key, Dells and other systems uses the F2 key. Barebone systems uses the DEL key. Once you are in the BIOS, you need to find the section on the Boot Order. The boot order should be placed in the following order:
1. HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
2. CD-ROM
3. FDD or NET or the like. (The 3rd boot order can also be disabled by selecting it.)
Make sure the the HDD is placed as the first boot priority before any others in the listing, which means your main hard drive must be placed as a first boot device before any others that is listed. Also be sure that the black jumper in the back of your main hard drive is set to MASTER or MA as abbreviated according to the schematics shown on top of your hard drive. Any other drives that you have such as your CD-ROM, DVD-ROM must be placed as SLAVE or SL as abbreviated on the back of them. Once you have the boot priority set, hit the ESC key and save the configuration. It should now boot to your main hard drive booting up your Windows. Also, make sure your CD is out of your CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive! Good luck. Any other questions, I will be on a stand by.

* Remove partitions with Samsung Disk Managar
* Make one FAT32 partition with Samsung DM
* Now format it with Win98 boot disk as type at A:> format c:/u
* It will recover your hard disk's bad sector
* Again make partition with Samsung DM
* Install Win XP
* You are done !

Back