• Thread starter Thread starter dOne
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,555

dOne

Curious
ISP
BSNL 500 Combo
I'm struglling with Puppy Linux installation on my old machine (PIII500Mhz, 128MB RAM). Problem is my CDROM is not working and PC does not support USB booting. :wall:Can anyone help me on that?

I had the same problem, with my old laptop. I think you might want to get a usb casing for your laptop hdd(incase its a laptop you are talking about, if its a desktop you can just plug the hdd directly onto the ide cable of another desktop) and plug it into a computer that does have a usb booting and install puppy onto the old hdd. Really its cheap I think something like 150 Rs. in Delhi, dont know about Pune though. alternatively you can get an external cd rom and there is a program on the puppy linux website with which you can use a floppy to detect this cdrom and boot and directly install puppy onto the hdd. I would prefer the first one, it is some work but still much easier than the second one.

You have to follow this step for installing puppy linux installation:
1. Download Puppy linux ISO and burn the ISO to CD.
2. Start your computer via the Puppy CD.
3. Once Puppy has loaded, from the Taskbar, Click: Start > Setup > Puppy universal installer.
4. Follow the onscreen instructions which will walk you through the Puppy USB installation process.
5. When finished with the Puppy USB install, reboot your PC and go into system BIOS to change your boot order to boot from the USB device.
6. Save your settings and reboot your PC to enjoy running Puppy Linux from USB.

My Friend,
I already mentioned that CD ROM is not working and PC does not support USB boot.. :wall:

i am not sure if puppy support installation over network. i once installed suse on a machine. it mini installer installed the network installer on the hard disk that appeared on the boot screen menu along with other operating systems. and i could then install suse properly from there. it was fun. but too slow. as it downloaded components as it installed.

you can hookup your laptop hdd to another computers usb by using a usb casing or better an IDE casing and then boot up using puppy cd and install on the Laptop hdd, you can find them in the market (` 150 Rs)

Back