Help: VI says Aadhaar mandatory for new prepaid sim

ISP
Jio, Airtel, BSNL, VI
So few days ago I went to VI mini store to port my number with voter ID, surprisingly they said only Aadhaar is allowed.

I had to return, tweeted, emailed to CS, and appellate authority, a week later after some reps saying go to a bigger store, third party retailer, other IDs are also valid etc. today I got email from their CS stating Aadhaar is mandatory, see screenshot.

Is it even legal? AFIK, as per Jio and VI's website other govt IDs, definitely voter ID is accepted for kyc. I know even TRAI says so but can't find the document, can anyone help find any resource from the regulators?

VI's own website contradicts their response: Acceptable Documents for Indian Nationals | Vi

Mind you this is near Kolkata, not some sensitive border state.

I want to pursue this for their deviousness. I am not comfortable tossing my Aadhaar here and there when I have other options.

Thanks for your inputs 🙏

3uhEvvp.png

@curiousX remember rules are subject to change on inputs from the TRAI or other bodies of the Govt.

Aadhar is compulsory because it ties in with your biometrics registered at the UIDAI. So, there's nothing 'devious' about their request and I too had to give my Aadhar photocopy + the original AND be present in person at the Airtel retail outlet just to get a duplicate SIM. And it's been the same experience with a replacement SIM from Jio and a new Vi SIM in Maharashtra. New SIM or replacement SIM the Aadhar card is the primary document used for PoI and PoA.

My advice is to provide them the docs they request or your connection won't be activated. It's a rule set by the Govt and it cannot be bypassed by the network provider.

PS - need to add for a dupe SIM they take your photo with the Aadhar in hand.

Last edited:
@Chip Yes, but govt rules haven't changed and Aadhaar is one of the listed IDs for sim activation.

Aadhaar is not mandatory/compulsory. So calling it that is devious for the company and incorrect of you. VI's own website says so as linked in original post, and Jio, Airtel have their own corresponding pages.

For duplicate/replacement sim they are a bit strict to prevent fraud, but still Aadhaar is not the only way.

The rule set by the govt are reflected in the company policies, my suggestion is to know the rules and rights properly before naively thinking the companies are doing the best thing for us. They sometimes don't.

I am still trying to find the DoT/TRAI whitepaper on KYC ID directions.

Update:
I faught and escalated to their appellate authorities again, and they accepted in calls and emails that other listed IDs in my case voter ID will be accepted. 👇
LFaMtjr.png

I have an airtel owned store in my local market and I have always managed to get replacement sims using a non-aadhaar id. They do say that aadhaar would be faster, my sim would be active in an hour or two max. Other ids might take a day or two. But they haven't forced aadhaar on me yet. Reliance Jio outlet on the other hand is a pain to deal with. In the end, it is definitely not mandatory. But most stores would pretend it is because it lessens paperwork for them. And there is always pressure from upstairs to use aadhaar over other IDs.

@Sushubh Slighly different, but I have activated Jio and Airtel fibers in hours via voter ID.

In this case of mine, the store wanted to proceed but DKYC option was actually grey in their portal. Seems they are unofficially pushing Aadhaar.

Back