help with very slow browsing speed.

• Thread starter Thread starter joyceanblue
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 5,655

joyceanblue

ISP
MTNL
hi guys, i am facing a very strange problem with my net. my net is pretty stable and download speed is good enough. but browsing totally sucks. the sites get stuck. on some forums the list of topic loads without a problem but if i open a thread it only loads the top half of the page and the actual threads never load. if i visit snapdeal the product pages open fine except the portion where it shows the price of the product. some youtube videos play totally fine and some almost never load, i can open espncricinfo page but if i open the score/commentary page the main section never opens.. i tried clearing cookies and cache but didnt help. and the problem can not be on my pc since i am facing the same issue on my laptop.
the dslreport speed test gives the following result
download speed : 664 Kb/s , Upload speed : 58 Kb/s, Latency : 148ms
ok guys it looks like the setting of my new wifi router+modem could be the problem. ill post some screenshots asap

a screenshot of my modem+router settings. i have changed the "dynamic router" to "RIP2-B" and "direction" to "Both" but still no luck.

Probably use diff DNS servers..... try MTNL default DNS then Google then OpenDNS.......
Use MTU size 1492
Ur Line Atte is so good at 5.0....... so ur very close to ur xchg...... then u should get better SNR than 15.3 tht u r getting...... tell linesman to chk line........ try disconnecting the phone......
Goto xchg and tell them ur Upload speed is set at 256kbps...... tell them to increase it to 512kbps.....

I'm having the same issue for past couple of days, slow browsing but perfect download.
also, youtube videos has been terrible for a month now :(

panzer008 said:
Probably use diff DNS servers..... try MTNL default DNS then Google then OpenDNS.......
Use MTU size 1492
Ur Line Atte is so good at 5.0....... so ur very close to ur xchg...... then u should get better SNR than 15.3 tht u r getting...... tell linesman to chk line........ try disconnecting the phone......
Goto xchg and tell them ur Upload speed is set at 256kbps...... tell them to increase it to 512kbps.....
thanks for the answer panzer008, ive already tried a few dns servers, including google dns. i hve also tried namebench to figure out fasted dns and it shows google dns to be fastest ones.
you are right i am very close to exchange, around 300m. the thing is i do not want to go to exchange and ask those morons to fix anything. usually that ends up in no net at all.. ill try to change the mtu size.
what bothers me is it is working a lot better with my 220bx modem. but with wifi modem it is pathetic.

r u getting consistent ping..... or r there too many timeouts.....
eg:

hi panzer, the new router is working fine. my main reason to purchase this model was to increase the signal strength of wifi in other rooms. i have left the modulation to auto sync-up but i think its selecting adsl +2 , in status window it shows "DSL Modulation Type:[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, 'SunSans-Regular', sans-serif;]ADSL_2plus"[/color]

joyceanblue said:
hi panzer, the new router is working fine. my main reason to purchase this model was to increase the signal strength of wifi in other rooms. i have left the modulation to auto sync-up but i think its selecting adsl +2 , in status window it shows "DSL Modulation Type:[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, 'SunSans-Regular', sans-serif;]ADSL_2plus"[/color]
Do u hav 2Mbps plan?? I need to know.... coz I hav the W8970 and ADSL2+ modulation acts weird on it...... had to set G.dmt

Back