• Thread starter Thread starter jjvj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 3,764

jjvj

Regulars
ISP
vsnl
Trai unbundles TV channels for DTH........Consumers can pay only for channels they watch from December; move will improve fortunes of DTH firms..

Customers of direct-to-home (DTH) services can look forward to lower bills, and the operators of such services, more healthy-looking profit and loss statements, after the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) did away with the practice of bundling of channels by broadcasters.
Trai, India’s telecom regulator, also regulates the television distribution business.
On Monday, the regulator made it mandatory for broadcasters such as Zee Telefilms and Star India to offer their channels to DTH operators on a pick-and-choose basis from December, unlike the existing all-or-nothing approach.
Trai said that the total rate for all the pay channels picked by DTH operators should not exceed 1.5 times the rate of the entire bouquet and that the rate for no channel should be more than three times the average per-channel rate for the entire bouquet. Both these measures are targeted at ensuring that broadcasters do not price their a la carte offering prohibitively compared with their bouqet offering.
Trai has also asked broadcasters to publish their ‘reference’ rates for DTH operators with technical and commercial terms for selling them channels. It has said these rates must also be published on the broadcasters’ websites.
Customers in areas covered by the conditional access system (CAS) have the option of choosing the channels they want to watch and pay for those alone. Broadcasters have to sell their channels on an a la carte basis (or individually, and not as part of a bouquet of channels) to cable operators in these areas.
However, broadcasters were not providing this facility to DTH companies. The two firms currently offering fee-based DTH services, Tata Sky, a joint venture of the Tata group and News Corp., and Dish TV, together serve around 3.2 million customers but have to take the entire bouquet of channels from broadcasters, and pass it on to customers. Doordarshan offers an all-free DTH service, DD Direct.
“This (unbundling) is a welcome step, both from the DTH operators’ and the consumers’ perspective,” said A. Mohan, vice-president for legal and regulatory affairs at the Essel group, which owns all the Zee channels and the Dish TV network. “We will definitely pass on the benefits to our consumers who can now only pay for the channels they want to watch,” he added.
Both Tata Sky and Dish TV are reeling under losses as they compete with cable operators who service around 70 million households. Cable operators in CAS areas have the option of paying only for channels they believe will have viewership in the areas they service, and choose not to buy the rest. CAS is currently operational in parts of the four metros.
Other cable operators servicing the majority of India’s cable and satellite television homes sometimes under-report the number of customers they have for pay channels.
Currently, monthly bills for DTH customers are around Rs300. Even this is lower than what it costs the companies to provide the service and DTH operators have been absorbing losses as they waited for the law to change. “This move (unbundling) will make our profit-and-loss account look better,” Mohan said.
It will, however, significantly impact the bottom lines of the broadcasters. “We get around 25% of our revenue from DTH. This (the new rule) can reduce it by 50%,” said an executive looking after distribution at a major broadcaster who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Trai was forced to intervene after DTH operators complained that broadcasters were forcing them to carry channels that they did not want to.
Trai’s move will also ensure a smooth entry into the market for the Reliance ADA Group, Bharti Telemedia Ltd and Sun Network Ltd, which intend to start DTH services.

DTH cos can pick channels, refuse bouquets, says Trai

DTH cos can pick channels, refuse bouquets, says Trai=

Hey jjvj.. U are the mann!U always hav been one amongst the first to break good news!Well done!but as far as my knowledge goes the article saya that TRAI will not allow bundling of channels by broadcasters so that DTH operators can pick the channel which has more popularity than anyother channel... there is no mention of the fact that subscribers to these DTH Operators will be able to pick the channels they want to watch on le-carte basis..It is just that v will be able to get channels of more popularity pacckaged for premium rates to be taken by the subscriber..Only good news is that v should now be able to get some good channels that v had been waiting for.. but dec is quite far.. hope the regulations come into place in an effective way! Good that TRAI has finnally stepped in..

Hey jjvj.. U are the mann!
U always hav been one amongst the first to break good news!
Well done!

but as far as my knowledge goes the article saya that TRAI will not allow bundling of channels by broadcasters so that DTH operators can pick the channel which has more popularity than anyother channel...
there is no mention of the fact that subscribers to these DTH Operators will be able to pick the channels they want to watch on le-carte basis..

It is just that v will be able to get channels of more popularity pacckaged for premium rates to be taken by the subscriber..

Only good news is that v should now be able to get some good channels that v had been waiting for.. but dec is quite far.. hope the regulations come into place in an effective way! Good that TRAI has finnally stepped in..
Kunal, u are right. TRAI does not talk about allowing the customers to pick up channel on a-le-carte basis. But that will happen sooner than later.

yes. that was much needed.. but then .. what will the difference be between DTH and CAS.. b;'coz CAS has rs5 per channel and if the same is applied to DTH then our bills will go upto 500rs or more.. TRAI has to be careful in deciding he channel rate for customer b'coz if they put it as rs2 per channel then it will be good for us.. but then there will be a fight from CAS to reduce the rates for them. I hope this happens too for us . But overall good is news is for Tata Sky b'coz now they can pick Zee sports and Zee telugu and Zee smile etc.. and add it to their packages..

they can set the max limit for all the mediums and clear any sort of confusion. as per these new rules, star can still charge 50 bucks for their 2-3 channels. though cas people would just pay around 15 bucks!

well all i can say is that u dont hav to pay for FTA channels.. i'm sure all the channels that are not so famous will be put under one package and will be offered at a lower price for the Operators to pick.. So it shd not be a problem.. I think all DTH players will devise a plan to decrease the subscription amount.. they are the people who kow wat are the rates offered to them and wat they hav to offer to the customer..I think TS can give a better and a clearer opinion on this..All u can do is ask them..

trai should have just kicked some more ass and should have told the DTH companies to let the customer pick channels themselves. setting the max price for one channel would have been better. why do it in stages? just do the thing that benefit the customer the most! this would attract a whole lot of users to DTH esp now that the companies would have to provide the STB on rent!

well all i can say is that u dont hav to pay for FTA channels.. i'm sure all the channels that are not so famous will be put under one package and will be offered at a lower price for the Operators to pick.. So it shd not be a problem.. I think all DTH players will devise a plan to decrease the subscription amount.. they are the people who kow wat are the rates offered to them and wat they hav to offer to the customer..

I think TS can give a better and a clearer opinion on this..
All u can do is ask them..

Ask them now :P ...... NO.. wait let them first add the channels that they had reached agreement with.. :hysterical:

i'm sure they will add the channels.. But cant guess why they have not added it til now even when the feed is available..
Guess they want to tempt us by showing things and then till the last moment when u have reached ur maximum patience level they will add the channel so that u do the JHINGALAA:hysterical:
Just like they did for star cricket..:whistle:

Back