High Packet loss over WiFi

• Thread starter Thread starter xd003
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 1,267
ISP
Speedcom
I have just switched to Airtel fiber 2 days ago. Was randomly testing out the packet loss through this website. On my Desktop with LAN, it's pretty fine
xurl3Kd.jpeg

But while testing it on my phone connected to the Nokia ONT provided by Airtel, i get the following
W4jvcnj.jpeg

I have few days of left of my older ISP's plan to expire, it's cable is connected to the WAN port of my TP-Link Archer C6. So i connected to TP link Wi-Fi and do the same test, the results still aren't something great.

rflPB8o.jpeg

So i am wondering what might be going wrong here ? I have never really done any packet loss test before so i am quite unsure if this even normal ?

Yeah that's what I told you, ONT's WiFi performance would be poor, that's what you are experiencing. Switch to a better router or use LAN if your work/use case is packet loss sensitive.

It's 0.1% for a 1080p stream test from the packetloss.com website which is acceptable.

It still feels like even Wifi 6 routers are not really mainstream here in India. I think AX 10 for 4k is pretty bang for the buck atm. Can't really go wrong with it. Its pretty interesting that the improvement in AX 10 compared to my C6 is so much ( 0.1% vs 25-30% packet loss ). I mean sure its a generation ahead but I didn't expected this much difference. 0.1% easily surpass my needs
It would be worthwhile to ask some of my friends with Wifi 5 routers to report their results from this website

i forgot to report my findings here. i got quite many of my friends to test their packetloss using this website. As it turns out, getting 0% packet loss is not really that big of a deal at all, literally everyone i asked got 0% packet loss, all were using wifi-5 routers, heck some even with the Airtel ONT's got 0% :/
Now that begs the question, what's really causing it for me ? Would appreciate some inputs in debugging this. Just for the info again, i get no packet loss with LAN but over wifi, i see constant packet loss with both ( Airtel Nokia ONT ) and My TP-Link Archer C6 connected as a wired extender. I suspect its something else causing this, not really a hardware bottleneck or performance issue per se

Back