• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 12,028

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
Ok. This problem started from yesterday.My PC emits high pitch squeak sound randomly. Sometimes 2-3 times in just 5 seconds and sometimes nothing for 10-15mins.I googled and found that its happened to others too and it cud be anything:Harddisk, CPU fan, Power Supply Unit (PSU), Network card, Display cardAnd somewhere its written that it cud be some resistors too, which I guess is impossible for me to detect.Now my problem is I am not able to detect what is causing the sound. Because it comes randomly and mostly comes when I am at some distance from PC.I opened the lid. I waited for sound keeping ears close to PC but it never came when I am waited for it.Once it came i figured out that its not coming from back of CPU but from motherboard or harddisk area. But I am still not sure because it hardly lasts a second and very tough to identify exact source of sound.Or can it be that sound emits from somewhere else and it echoes from somewhere else?Now I cleaned my PC 2-3 months back, and I cleaned CPU fan and fins thoroughly, and when I opened CPU lid, CPU fan seems to be functioning fine. I dont think too much dirt will accumulate in 2-3 months.2nd is PSU unit, the fan of which indeed has problems (i have to manually push start it) but when I kept ear close to CPU the sound didnt appear to be coming from back of CPU.3rd is harddisk. i have 2 harddisks, 1 is new, bought abt 8-9 months back and 2nd is 5-6 yrs old. i ran harddisk extended selftests but both passed it. 2nd (old) harddisk did detect 2-3 bad sectors 2-3 weeks back but it was repaired and selftest no longer reports error. and health test is also showing passed for the both.I have onboard display card (Intel 810 or so), so can it be problem?I have two LAN cards, can they be problem? but they are again at back of PC and sound didnt appear to be coming from there.Nowhere its reported that CDROM can be problem, but can it be? but i havent inserted CDROM in it from 2days.Any1 has idea? Next I will try to remove the 2nd (old) harddisk and check if sound still comes. I just hope its not new harddisk (it has lots of imp data) or motherboard

Do you mean it coming from the PC speaker? Then you might disconnect it since its redundant these days (you wont get any beeps tho)...If its not from the speaker, maybe its a fan issue in the SMPS/PSU unit...

i would remove all the components one by one from the cabinet (lan cards, grafix card etc). try a different hard disk too. if u have another desktop then you can try powering this pc with the psu of the other one. so just eliminate the other possibilities and you will be left with the faulty component. there is no simpler way to determine these things unless someone has heard a similar sound before and knows from experience what the problem is

If it is a constant high pitched irritating whining sound, it is definitely the cpu fan struggling to cool the processor and cleaning the dust should fix that. Stressful activity on the comp too can lead to this.

If it is an intermittent one, then it can be anything.
- In ANNOYING sound coming from CPU? - Tech Support Guy Forums, the sound was the result of a non-working fan in an old power supply.
- Cdrom drive? Don't think so, surely not when it is not in use.
- On board grfx cards should not be the problem (newer generation cards can be).
- Failing hard disks make a clattering sound. Don't think that is involved.
- Finally the motherboard might also be a problem, capacitors probably.

Check this out - High pitched sound coming from PC - Icrontic Forums. No solutions there. But they mention a few problem areas - monitors etc.

Whenever I turned on my tap, instead of water it emited similar high pitch sound for first few minutes. But I guess it could be ur PSU or maybe just few funky capacitators rioting around Chinese embassy

nope its not PSU or CPU fanas i guessed earlier it was 2nd (old) harddisk, i removed it yesterday afternoon and havent heard sound from after thatnow my new question is:is it safe to use harddisk?selftest and health test passed without problem on that harddisk. so if its resistor problem, is it minor or major problem?if its resistor problem, is there any chance that resistor can burn or anything like that?

Linux has all such things in built :p (all harddisks!)and temperature is not issue its abt 45 to 53 deg C

Back