Honesty Net ubuntu/speedtest mirror performance investigation

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 32,164

vishalrao

The Global Village Idiot
ISP
Tata Play 1 gbps, Jio AirFiber 100 mbps. Prior Microscan 500 mbps, PDPL 300 mbps and BSNL 300 mbps.
I noticed while downloading off HNS servers on BSNL 8 mbps plan that it is likely capped to 2 mbps per user so I shifted to France servers to get close to 8 mbps speeds.But that is not the point, whats interesting is that even though HNS can do multi-mbps downloads, for some reason speedtest.net Mumbai server run by HNS shows much lower speeds thus giving the impression to average layman that BSNL speed is poor.I hope its not a co-marketing ploy by HNS/Airtel to put BSNL's name in disrepute :whistle:One way to confirm if is other BSNL users and users of other ISPs which compete with Airtel/HNS could post what their Mumbai speedtest.net results are along with what actual download speeds they get off HNS servers/mirros. In fact HNS/Airtel users, care to post your own speedtest results? It might clearly show glaring skewed numbers in favour of HNS/Airtel against other ISPs.Of course hopefully you should have say at least 2 mbps plans and ideally higher than 2 mbps plans to confirm/verify both points.PS: Maybe its just my conspiracy-theorist mindset and I'm just imagining things :D

OR may be they dont have that much capacity themselves.

Hey, I manage Honesty Net Solutions (as you might know already).Putting this post down as we are being called "not so honest" :(We do not put any restrictions on any downloads from the servers, there could be multiple problems that could have made the above _download_ @ 2mbps restricted only. As for capacity we are currently uploading from the mirror server @ aprox 200-250mbps, and have a headroom for at-least 600mbps more. We evaluate bandwidth requirements every week and add capacity accordingly. Please all BSNL users do let us all know if you all are facing the same kind of problems, we will start a dialogue with BSNL to rectify the problem. We might restrict bandwidth at times if there are network stability issues or for debugging purposes, and these are very rare occurrences.

yey! HNS decided to post their response on the forum... :Dhey ripunjay... we would like to know more about your collaboration with hayai broadband. some members on this forum are skeptical on what hayai is promising and what they would be able to deliver. you might be able to clarify the doubts... since you are somehow involved with them on some level...

Thanks @ripunjay for responding. Like I ended my post with the line "its probably my imagination" :D
Don't want to waste too much of your time, but would you (or any of your techs) be able to diagnose the "problems" ?

There are 2 questions I have basically, second one is not significant, first one is the concern for me (you already mentioned you will get in touch with BSNL to investigate):

1. Why does HSN Mumbai SpeedTest mirror show poor speed for my 8 mbps BSNL connection?
2. Why when I try to download from HNS ubuntu mirror I seem to be capped at 2 mbps while I get 8 mbps from a few other international mirrors?

Note:

* I am getting results of about 5-6 mbps from chennai speedtest mirror.
* Many other servers (singapore, japan, US etc) give poor results too :)
* See my other post about tuning/scaling issues in the OS, that may be a factor: https://broadband.forum/bsnl-broadband/56495-bsnl-broadband-8mbps-plan/3/#post375057
* Could the 2 mbps limit from HNS ubuntu mirror be a misconfig? Even if its intentional it is perfectly reasonable because you have your own bandwidth limitations!

I will rerun the speedtest off HNS mirror on Win7 and also Ubuntu and post both images shortly...

edit: @admin, maybe my thread title is a little too unkind/impolite/sensationalist like INDIA TV haha, can you edit so that its like "Honesty Net ubuntu/speedtest mirror performance investigation" or something like that?

having limits on the free mirrors of ubuntu is well reasonable... but if you are letting your servers being used for speedtest.net you are not really supposed to limit speeds! people who have 100mbps or gbps level connectivity might want to test their connection and they would not get proper speeds :D making the service useless.

We are collaborating with Hayai on the back-end infrastructure and some technical backup, rest is all Mathew's baby.Details can only come from Mathew.

alright. so you are mmm confirming that hayai is for real and they are serious about their business... :) right? that is what we would like to hear from you!

HNS mumbai speedtest mirror seems to have gone missing from the map for the moment :D Let me know if/when you want me to retest since I have attempted to resolve any misconfig issues with my Win7 and Ubuntu installations... I only plan to continue with BSNL 8 mbps connection for few months, hoping to get Hayai's connection when they come to Pune soon.

Back