How can I use two connections using mwan3?

• Thread starter Thread starter nishantt6969
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,187

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
I have rpi4B and a usb 3.0 to ethernet gigabit adapter, 2 spare TP-Link a6 and c6. I want to setup settings in such a way that I be able to use airtel and excitel both, ofcourse not at the same time but as failover, excitel primary and airtel secondary using mwan3, but the problem is I have only one ethernet adapter and that is connected to excitel ont through bridge mode. I want to setup airtel as well, is there anyway I can do it using the single usb adapter?
Help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I guess you can do this; don't quote me on this. It is just a mock-up.
test.png

Adding to @Lolita_Magnum, you can even do it with a single ethernet port, with all three VLANs (ie 2 WAN and 1 LAN) going over the same cable.

But you'd need a VLAN capable switch, you could install OpenWRT on the C6 or A6 to use it as a managed switch if supported.

Prefer Use of vlan over usb adapters. Usb is unreliable.

what kind of unreliability can I expect from usb adapters? its been 4-5 days and the internet is working totally ping. No ping spikes, speed drops or anything.

@JB701 please look at the above diagram made by lolita, do you understand it?

I don't have access to an OpenWRT device right now, but basically, you'd have

Port 1 @ Archer - VLAN 100 - Tagged, VLAN 200 - Tagged, CPU - Tagged, Everything else off

In case of the Pi, since there is no switch chip, you just use the interface as eth1@100 or eth1@200 etc.

If you can share a screenshot of your setup, will be able to add more.

Back