How can update Nokia phone software via Ubuntu?

• Thread starter Thread starter Nuxer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 11,884

Nuxer

liNUX+usER
ISP
Asianet FTTH
I recently bought a Nokia 5130 Express Music phone. Now a new software update available for my phone. But, Nokia software updater only supports Windows XP. How can update my Nokia phone via Ubuntu?Note: Nokia software updater is not compatible with Wine.

I dont think you have any other option than to

- install Windows alongside Linux
- find somebody else who has Windows on their PC and lets you borrow it
- Have a Nokia repair/service center update your phone
- Live with whatever firmware version you have now

Its pretty silly of them to have a tool to update the firmware , on my Asus Phone , i just have to dump the update files on the memory card , hold a button and restart

on my Asus Phone , i just have to dump the update files on the memory card , hold a button and restart

Thats a good idea. But unfortunately Nokia only provide update via 'Nokia software updater'.

just find a friend with a windows xp powered system. its a one time need. Nokia service center might charge you for something that should be absolutely free. i hate motorola in this aspect. the company provides free firmware only for a period of one year. after that you have to pay to get the latest firmware.

i think the suite comes with the mobile phone itself. but firmware updates are only available for one year (warranty period). after that you have to go to motorola service center to get it updated. for a fee.

Back