How is Idea Cellular in Mumbai region?

• Thread starter Thread starter max02_89
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 16,413
max02_89 said:
tata docomo has the good coverage coz it also uses loop mobile network where docomo network doesnt exist without roaming charge..but when i asked my friend who uses docomo, he said docomo has the call connectivity issue, like call get connected but you and opposite party will hear nothing (total blank) and call charges gets applied ...and sometimes it happens alot..
analyse your situation first.
check which is the best network at your home and office,opt for that one only.
the issue you are saying is due to highly refracted or reflected signal i had issues with loop at my place ,i used mobile signal booster which picked signal from of my building to resolve the issue.it was not worth it so finally i ported to idea.
now idea has lesser signal strength in db than loop but signal quality of idea is good as it is not reflected signal,still my purpose isnt served as my other rooms sometimes face issue,so i am going to wait for 90days period and port to some other network..possibly lesser used one like aircel.

Buy a new sim of say Reliance, and Vodafone. Test them out and then port. Aircel's network is very weak.

x720 said:
Buy a new sim of say Reliance, and Vodafone. Test them out and then port. Aircel's network is very weak.
just check networks of friends and relatives who visit your house and decide instead of buying new sims and submitting documents.
i thought airtel was least congested.i do not know anyone who uses it though...at my place so far mtnl is the best but i wont dare to port out to mtnl lol....i also have airtel sim,it is decent i would say..i was zeroing down to aircel and docomo.

I personally think MTNL is much maligned, more than it deserves. I used MTNL for many years. Then I had to port out because I kept moving between Mumbai and Pune. BSNL was bad for me in Pune.
I ported to Idea. Fantastic network both in Mumbai and Pune. But awful CC and hidden charges, which make for a really irritating combination.
Then I ported to Tata Docomo. Started with excellent pricing, which they kept surreptitiously increasing over the last one year. Network is far inferior to Idea but usable for voice. For data it is very poor. Their CC is easily accessible though not too knowledgeable.
I might be returning to Mumbai for good. If that happens, I will go back to the trusty old MTNL. Network - good enough. CC - Not great, you don't get a trained accent, but I can always reach them when I need them. And let me assure you they are not inferior to Tata Docomo CC when it comes to knowledge. You can't compare with Idea because you can never reach Idea CC.

Ok so even I am planning to move out of Airtel and switch to Idea.

Reason:
Airtel network is good. I had moved from prepaid to postpaid but fake promises has made me sick of them.

Expectations:
I am assuming that Idea network would be good in Mumbai / Maharashtra. (Before BPL take over Vodafone had tie up with Idea and that time it worked good when I went out of Mumbai around Maharashtra)

Also assuming that they have own network presence in major states of India.

I do not expect Idea to be better than Airtel but I expect plans would be a bit cheaper than Airtel.

Fear factor:
Now my fear is that Airtel will not let me port out easily. And they will keep harassing me.

Process:
Due to above fear I want to know exact process to port out so that I can deal with Airtel harassment easily.
  1. Will Idea help me port out if airtel tries to harass and block port out?
  2. When is right time to port out? I assume that end of billing cycle would be good time.
  3. How will Airtel generate bill? When do I have to pay bill? Before port out or after?
Let me know any other thing that I may have missed (esp. airtel's tricks to block port out!)

Thanks

I was able to port from Airtel Prepaid to Idea Prepaid with zero hassles. Not sure about postpaid. Get a test Idea sim and use it for a few days before taking a final decision which is what I did.

I also had a talk with Airtel Customer Care when they called me up for a tweet I posted celebrating applying for MNP. I told the guy that I do not want them to block my request. He said he would put it on priority approval or whatever. Not sure if that helped. I did not even get any calls from the retention department. Maybe the retention department found that I was a useless customer to retain as I hardly make any calls.

Lets see I have to wait for 30 more days.. as 90day period is not over..

but i am preparing myself for the MNP!

if you have a spare phone, this would be a good time to get an idea prepaid with some data and use it to see the network coverage quality etc.

Back