How is your ISP doing with increased traffic due to the COVID-19?

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 616
  • Views Views 51,104
@Realme, what we have are home broadband services. The fine print clearly says there are no guarantees regarding the bandwidth, routing and other performance parameters. I have made several posts about this in other thread on IBF. Anybody wanting performance and SLAs related to their broadband needs to get a leased line for exponentially more money.

@C3PO yeah I have followed those post of yours and know about fine print but I wonder how much of it is legally allowed to be enforced, viability of challenging certain clauses.

As far as I have read on IBF, providing leased line is not cheap/completely free for ISP once infra has been paid for but I feel(not much knowledgeable about it,just based on intuition) that it is possible for an ISP to provide respectable bandwidth/QoS against their advertised speed even in stressful times

You have been into telecom sector so you are more experienced about challanges there, if you don't mind can I talk you about it in DM as I don't want to derail the converstaion from main topic of the post

@Realme sure...lets take this on DM. But understand that we customers don't have much say in telecom operator broadband T&Cs, which are obviously drawn up to safeguard their interests. All we can do is:

a) Complain to the customer care and hope for a resolution. I did so for YBB and they sorted it out. If you are a long standing customer with a "premium" connection they will go the extra mile to keep you happy.
b) Change to the another provider (not much use when even Western ISPs are tottering under the load)
c) Take it up with the ombudsman in the company
c) Take it up legally (not worth it IMHO)

Guys I have a doubt correct me if I am wrong. So these isps does not expect all of us to use the internet at the same time right? That's why the speed are lower . So they are kind of cheating us isn't it? Since we are paying money.. It would not be a problem if it was a wireless connection since one tower will be used by so.much people. But capping for a fixed line service which all of us are paying above 500 rs and still not doing capacity addition is kind of cheating towards its consumers.

@philip Sorry but by your logic banks should be able to cash out all the customers at the same time cause they are obviously liable to give 100% of your cash when you demand back.
There is a obviously catch why they provide you internet so cheap. To get full speeds always your only option is a leased line which is obviously expensive. Home BB is cheaper because there is a catch same as why bank provides interests over your deposit..
This logic applies everywhere, you can't blame government if roads are full of traffic when everyone goes out at same time

Guys I have a doubt correct me if I am wrong. So these isps does not expect all of us to use the internet at the same time right? That's why the speed are lower . So they are kind of cheating us isn't it? Since we are paying money.. It would not be a problem if it was a wireless connection since one tower will be used by so.much people. But capping for a fixed line service which all of us are paying above 500 rs and still not doing capacity addition is kind of cheating towards its consumers.

@philip fixed line broadband services are also shared bandwidth. It is called a contention ratio. Please read up about it.

The only time you get dedicated bandwidth with SLAs and QoS is if you opt for a leased line, which is out of reach of most individuals and is overkill for home use regardless of whether one considers himself/herself a hot shot Youtube channel owner or stock market trader et al.

Maruti ke price mein Mercedes Benz nahin mil sakti. If you know what I mean. So let's all stop the whinging out here. You want or demand performance? Be ready to pay for it. Period.

There's another thread for discussions on broadband performance. We should continue this conversation there because it is off topic for this thread.

Is the BSNL only one who has capped the download speeds what about other with jio fiber and airtel and all. Does they are also getting capped speeds .I am just curious 😅

I do not like BSNL's decision to cap 30 mbps, they should downgrade the 100mbps plan charges then because a 50 mbps subscriber is getiin 30 mbps , 60% of their plans ,likewise 100mbps guys hsould get 60 mbps atleast.

Back