How many times can you change Airtel Broadband plan in a month?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 8,419
I am not a big uploader. Airtel has Upload speed of 440 Kbps but i wouldn't mind. I am a download guy. Airtel gives 2.3 Mbps on 2 mbps connection and 4.4 Mbps on 4 Mbps connection. Of course the FUP's are just ridiculous but that's not a problem for me at present.

Reliance says it offers 1:10 contention ratio which is better that Airtel's 1:17 contention ratio. MTNL gives 1:28 contention ratio. That explains why Reliance has good upload speed.

On Airtel I had 150GB FUP where I used 120GB for the first 28 months and downloaded the rest on the last 2-3 days because of Smartbytes redirections.

150 GB FUP on which plan? What's the problem with Smartbytes redirection?

How to bypass Smartbytes page? You mean you can get additional high speed data without paying Airtel? That's great.

Now the problem with Reliance is that it can and does go down any time. And you need to login manually (or using a script).

Login manually? Why? Don't you setup your Modem settings to connect automatically? All you have to do is setup connection type to always on and enter your username password, Modem will connect to internet automatically each time when powered on.

Last edited:
I do not remember the plan. Final bill came to around 2700 I think after taxes etc. This is around 2-3 years ago.
Smartbytes redirection is/was a problem because I lost data. I write a long forum post and it would disappear because Airtel decides to redirect me to Smartbytes page. Once or twice, it happened at the time I was buying something online. I hear redirections do not happen that much these days. But it was insane in the early days.
I do not know how to bypass smartbytes. What I meant was that I used 80% of the data in 28 days of the month. Smartbytes redirection only happened during the last 20%. So I used 120GB through the month and left the last 30GB for downloads in the last 2-3 days. This way I did not end up dealing with Smartbytes redirections for most of the month and I scheduled all my large downloads for the end of the billing cycle.

What a weird problem? So Airtel forcefully directs users to Smartbyte page. I don't understand. My brother has Airtel since last 5 years with 15Gb FUP but he never faced Smartbyte redirect problem.

cL3Mmih.jpg

this device finally became useful again after a few weeks today!

aiDbHI4.jpg

lol. need to buy some cable clips to hopefully make this look not so hideous.

@chromaniac Airtel is best in this regard. Change the plan as many times as you want, they will reset the FUP EVERYTIME, I am told that its automatic through the servers. The billing is prorata based, so no worry about extra billing.
I did it only when I needed, to avoid getting attention of some backend guy.

meanwhile. airtel landline stopped working today. internet was working. complained through twitter. guy arrived within 2 hours. fixed in another hour. on a sunday. if only they can undo the damage they did with their fucked up plans.

Back