• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 6,112

uthfull

Uthfull.org
ISP
Aitel U/L 512kbps
A few days back Vista crashed on my Inspiron. I had to reinstall the whole damn OS again along with SP1 and other updates and all the other software.So I was thinking of creating an Image of the Vista partition and probably create a bootable DVD of it. Anybody have any clue about doing it? I tried the trial version of Acronis True Image but it allows for just creation of images whereas I need to create a separate rescue disk with the acronis stuff on it.What I want is a bootable DVD which I just pop in, it asks the location where I want to restore and voila!Have tried DriveImage XML but it splits up the images in 656MB files which aren't bootable and I need BartPE to restore them.Any help would be appreciated.

did it happen after installing a patch from windows update? coz i suffered a similar crash :Di think what u need is norton ghost. not free of course.

Initially it was a patch through MS Update that made my Vista freeze after the welcome screen. Somehow I managed to sort that out to a point where I could just manage to backup my stuff on another partition. As luck would have it, some weirdo decided to put in a a virus infested usb drive and since I do not use any AV, it crippled vista.Now after spending the half a day installing Vista, the updates, the applications, I wanted to just kinda "ghost" it. But from what I've heard the latest version of ghost won't allow for bootable disks. I will need to create a recovery disk.I could try clonezilla but that would mean downloading and burning it on another disk. Isn't there something like what Ghost used to be.. a software that spits out bootable images that you just burn and when u need to restore, just insert em and you're done!?

i think clonezilla would do your work. why dont you wanna use another disk for an important backup?

Was just plain lazy I guess!! :PBut seriously, I'm willing to try anything at the moment since I've got nothing to lose right now. Its still a fresh install. I just have a bunch of blank CDs and DVDs with me (no external HDDs). Now if someone could direct me somewhere so that I could create a bootable DVD image I would be thankful. As mentioned before, I already have tried Acronis with its rescue disk thing and DriveImage XML in conjunction with the BartPE disc. I need a solution like the earlier versions of Ghost.. that allow you to create a backup image that is bootable and allows you to just insert the disc and perform a restore.

^^ if you need norton ghost so badly , the *cough cough* link-removed *cough cough* is still alive

the windows backup and restore center is a good option. but im not too sure how good it'll work if your comp gets totally screwed. i think this backup works only after you start the backup and restore center after you boot to vista. wont be useful if your comp gets screwed to an extent where you cant boot to vista.there might be an option of restore if you go into the advanced menu (F8) before booting to vista.

Back