How to know if it's time to replace the ONT or the woes of Intermittent Internet Connection.

• Thread starter Thread starter pr0m3th3u5
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 1,610
ISP
BSNL
I have intermittent disconnections. Can't really complain because the internet does come back after a while. So if I raise a complaint the internet comes back after a few hours but then again goes out after a few hours. The disconnection can last from anywhere between 5 mins to few hours.

Equipment:
I was given a Alphion ASEE- 1444 ONT. The phone LED (FXS) stays on but the WAN LED goes off intermittently. Sometimes there is no internet even if the WAN LED stays on.

PON Details:
And the connection seems rather healthy (or is it?) even where there is no internet.

Vendor NameAlphion
Temperature45.265625 C
Voltage3.268200 V
Tx Power2.384988 dBm
Rx Power-25.850266 dBm
Bias Current18.650000 mA

So where does the problem lie? Should I change my equipment? Or is it a problem on the BSNL side?

Last edited:
If your internet is down but your PON is up, then it is on the BSNL side.

The Answer to your problem is in your Stats.
The Rx Power is TOO LOW. Usually, anything above -24 is a warning sign. It usually means MANY connections.
Check if there are any excessive bends or Twists in the Fibre Optic cables. Also, place your xPON away from your main electricity line or Microwave as these might cause interruptions.
If the above doesn't help, As your LCO or BSNL or the person handling the connections to increase your Rx Power. Tell them your Internet connection is unstable and there are constant interruptions.
Do not mention Speed, Latency, or Jitter as they might not understand or care as long as the Internet is reaching your premises.

excessive bends or Twists in the Fibre Optic cables
I made sure the thin yellow one is without any bends but what about the think wire? It has so many bends and out of my control.
As your LCO or BSNL or the person handling the connections to increase your Rx Power
I will try. I guess this is it. I wonder how likely that they will do this.

@Lolita_Magnum Yes, you are right about Elec/Microwave. I am trying to eliminate possibilities.
I am not going to argue about the Rx Power. Every xPON device / brand has a different range. Some are stable even at extremes, some aren't.

The Main Thick Wire should not have BENDS. It can be wound circularly without bends.

Airtel here exclusively uses shielded outdoor fiber cables and at final termination, they are bent. But as long as it's within the tolerance radius is fine. And due to this, the issue should have been constant and not intermittent.

My point being, if the ONU is displaying good receive strength, then it's highly unlikely the issue is due to bends.

I'm using OneBroadband, mine is end to end fiber Ethernet based, so I cannot comment for broadband use.
But for an everyday user, it does the job well.
Service and reliability will depend on region to region as it LCO based.
You won't have much success tho if you are looking for an OTT focused ISP.

Last edited:
The Main Thick Wire should not have BENDS. It can be wound circularly without bends.
My outer thick wire has bends as in large circles or L shaped bends. So I guess I am fine. I should've been more specific.

My point being, if the ONU is displaying good receive strength, then it's highly unlikely the issue is due to bends.
You can see my PON details in the OP. The WAN LED comes and goes once in a while. I don't get internet even if WAN LED is on sometimes.

So what do you think cloud be the issue? I am to believe BSNL fails to provide internet to all the users on my line every now and them? Also what's your ONU Brand?

Last edited:

Back