How to sideload apps on Reliance Jio Fiber Android set-top box?

• Thread starter Thread starter Evilbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 278
  • Views Views 137,128

Evilbrain

ISP
Airtel
Got my STB today, tried to install jio tv apk but it seems like the box is locked or whatever i am not able to enable the "unknown sources" thing in the settings.

@Jaime - You can install apps that are available from the "Jio Store". Sadly, side loading of apps isn't possible at the moment. Also make sure you receive the "hybrid model" or whichever is the latest because a lot us have acquired varying models with diff specs AFAIK.

Upvote 0
i have very easy solution for u all. replacement is free of jio box. factory reset box. then unplug the power.in middle of factory reset. box will stuck at boot screen. then call customer care.. they will schedule engineering team.. then they will replace box. in new box don't connect internet. 1st install apps with apk installer. and install new apk installer search on google. give that apk installer permission. install one app with new apk installer now u can connect internet. after update. new apk installer will be their until u factory reset your box.
This method doesn't work now right? @Srikantnagar @binayakp25

Upvote 0
I was able to sideload the following apps before I connected to wifi and update :

ES File Explorer
APK Installer
Aptoide Store

But after the update, I was shocked to find out that my box was not able to give storage permissions to these apps so iI was not able to install any apps.

I went in Application Setting and tried to give permissions but I was unable to do so :(

I then accidentally turned Android off.
I then got a message saying "Shutting down".

The next time I turned it on, I got a message on the screen showing an option for Android Factory Reset along with the Android logo.
I will connect keyboard and mouse and try to navigate through this menu.

Will update asap

Upvote 0
Is there any advantage of having jio STB over Amazon Firestick besides being able to output 4k which my firestick cant and is there any way of installing 3rd party apk to jio STB which is a huge advantage for the fire stick once people migrate to non-OTT internet plans? There is no Netflix app in Jio STB(JIO Tv+ and jio store combined) which rules out the possibility of using the application with an independent subscription during the trial offer.

Upvote 0
@Brownspear Netflix app is coming to STBs in batches. It will come to yours soon.

Jio STB vs Firestick (non 4k): I have both. Jio's STB is better than Firestick in one crucial way, it is faster to use, UI is smooth, apps load faster etc. This is very significant and I prefer it over Firestick just because of this. Firestick is better in every other way. It has a better organised UI, UI looks better. Firestick remote is WAYYY better, nice clicky buttons and perfect for blind use. Controls TV directly. Firestick also has bluetooth audio support. Can install any app.

Upvote 0
@Gaurav15 It’s funny how Amazon’s firestick can install a Jio app like jio tv and we can play live channels provided by the app using any jio mobile account as login. While STB restricts Jio tv access only to OTT plans which is essentially free when used on other platforms. It would be great if STB provides access to 3rd party apks and provide access to its app services which are essentially free for jio mobile users which can essentially remove the need for a firestick.

Upvote 0

Back