How to sideload apps on Reliance Jio Fiber Android set-top box?

• Thread starter Thread starter Evilbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 278
  • Views Views 137,128

Evilbrain

ISP
Airtel
Got my STB today, tried to install jio tv apk but it seems like the box is locked or whatever i am not able to enable the "unknown sources" thing in the settings.

If you are below 999 plan. It's waste.
999 is best, we get free app subscriptions with live tv channels.

Jio stb is locked and we can't install third-party apps. (May be in feature if any found to install custom rom)
We can't expect jio to allow install third party apps.
They are not completely selling the stb here.

we can't compare the both.

Upvote 0
My personal opinion is Firestick(4k) is the best compared to Jio STB at the moment.

Firestick 4k performance is very good/Smooth/Fast compared to Non 4k version and we can install 3rd party apps(Multiple "TV,Cinema" apps, whereas jio stb is only good at integrating the channels under Jio tv+, Fire stick doesnt need a seperate power source, your TV's usb 3.0 port should be enough to power it enough. Remote use and feel is great in Fire Stict and mainly it has bluetooth support.

With Non-Ott plans, jio stb doesnt makes sense. You can prefer a different ISP at a cheaper cost.

Upvote 0
@Gaurav15 Agree with you from the cost point, but again my view is from Convenience/Customization perspective. Note that you will be able to use a VPN on fire stick too, if required where as no option in STB(For now Atleast).

Upvote 0
@stm44 Jio STB is great for the price. But man does it needs to be unlocked. Most of the apps they are trying to offer like the netflix hasn't even rolled out in the app store yet. When you switch back to non OTT plans after the trail offer. It renders STB completely useless. You cant install mobile apps like Airtel Xstream or let alone Jio's own JIO Tv mobile app which can let you stream some tv channels for free using a simple mobile number login which is possible in firestick. There was no obligation to jump to OTT plans.

Upvote 0
Jio STB is cheap af. It is the best option if someone wants to use just those apps given in Jio STB. Costs only ₹1000 extra and that too refundable. Firestick 4k is ₹6k, even with occasional discounts it is ₹4k or more.
Well, coming to the refundable part of it which holds good as long as how Jio responds to it. Trying to get back the refund is like herculean task by itself. Most of the cancellation requests are ignored and getting them to pickup your device is frustrating making you think twice for having a security of refundable deposit in the first place.

Upvote 0
Well today some people are saying that it doesn't work without Jio connection, now that's pathetic. But I guess it will work with JioFiber connection even with non OTT plans. Btw Netflix is there in my STB.

Upvote 0
@Gaurav15 It's good that Netflix is rolling out in some places. But it should've been pre installed in the STB beforehand or at least on the Jio store. Well my point is does this STB with all its good pricing and 4k capabilities can it replace the old non 4k firestick which can let you do whatever you want like a phone? What is essentially free is restricted in STB though it has that capability. Is it a good investment for Non OTT plan users in the end?

Upvote 0
@Brownspear well I'm a non OTT plan user. When I got the STB, even when I wrote that comment about it's value for money, I thought it will work with any connection. It's only today that someone posted on this forum that this doesn't work with other connections. So circumstances have changed significantly since I said it's a good purchase from value pov 😂. I'm not sure anymore. Firestick 4k is obviously better, I have non 4k Firestick and even that is better, although a bit slow

Upvote 0

Back