How to sideload apps on Reliance Jio Fiber Android set-top box?

• Thread starter Thread starter Evilbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 278
  • Views Views 137,128

Evilbrain

ISP
Airtel
Got my STB today, tried to install jio tv apk but it seems like the box is locked or whatever i am not able to enable the "unknown sources" thing in the settings.

@stm44 Jio STB is great for the price. But man does it needs to be unlocked. Most of the apps they are trying to offer like the netflix hasn't even rolled out in the app store yet. When you switch back to non OTT plans after the trail offer. It renders STB completely useless. You cant install mobile apps like Airtel Xstream or let alone Jio's own JIO Tv mobile app which can let you stream some tv channels for free using a simple mobile number login which is possible in firestick. There was no obligation to jump to OTT plans.
I went ahead and purchased the Mi Box 4K 😅

Upvote 0
i have 2 mi box.
but jio stb is diff.
accessing live tv channels and ottp content in jio stb is easy with the help of jiotv+ app.

Upvote 0
@bigman91 It's locked hybrid stb. They don't allow sideloading. If they allow It goes into black market.
Normal 4k box costs 4-5k. jio giving it with 1k security deposit. if they allow side loading and access with other broadband networks. It will be misused.

To enjoy all features we have to buy android box.

Upvote 0
Jio maybe block other ISP connection in JIO stb. Image source = Twitter.

Attachments

• Eiw7mCdX0AE0_47 (1).webp
    Eiw7mCdX0AE0_47 (1).webp
    114.1 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0
yes. from latest update , they are not allowing to use their stb on other broadband providers.

Upvote 0
@bigman91 It's locked hybrid stb. They don't allow sideloading. If they allow It goes into black market.
Normal 4k box costs 4-5k. jio giving it with 1k security deposit. if they allow side loading and access with other broadband networks. It will be misused.

To enjoy all features we have to buy android box.
Yes I'm aware and I have.

Upvote 0
Jio tv Plus on STB has fewer channels than jio tv ,Like i was looking to have Nick , Disney Junior etc on STB but could not find it , while on jio tv they are there . I am thinking whether airtel stream box is a better option as it has live tv as well as other ott ?? suggestions please

Upvote 0
Jio STB is too bad. I thought I could watch live TV channels as I already have subscriptions for the OTTs I watch. Sadly the LiveTV app doesn't work and there's no dedicated "JioTV" app for live channels. All the available channels(which is very less) need to be accessed through the JioTV+ app which streams the channels through disney-Hotstar or some other OTT which provides them.

Upvote 0

Back