HTC is using Sense platform to push ads down your throat

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 1,529
You are using their software. Its not the other way around.

What the companies decides to do with their softwares depends upon them. Apple in US issues amber alerts incase any missing child is reported in that area. Apparently htc is using its software to peddle ads. Shitty move ..but not illegal
I am paying for it.Its not subsidised nor is a charity.Once paid i own the thing.

You own the physical device, yes. But the software is still owned by the company. If you read the terms and conditions, it'll be clear. You are agreeing to use the software as given by manufacturer. If you don't agree to the terms and conditions, the software won't be installed.

going by that definition, mtnl adphonso is great. every isp should do that!

You own the physical device, yes. But the software is still owned by the company. If you read the terms and conditions, it'll be clear. You are agreeing to use the software as given by manufacturer. If you don't agree to the terms and conditions, the software won't be installed.
The software cannot be intrusive and invade privacy.Sorry but no terms and condition can do that.

Its a shitty move but not illegal. Thats what I'm saying. MTNL is not winning any accolades the last time I checked for adphonso

most of the things we critique on this forum are legal not illegal :D

8. HTC Content; Software and Updates.
“HTC Content” means all information, graphics, text, images, software, sound files, video, communications, and other materials (including all metadata) that HTC and its licensors provide to you through or in connection with the HTC Account Services. If you receive software from HTC as part of or in connection with the HTC Account Services (“Software”), its use is governed by the license that you must accept in order to use the Software. If no license is presented, these Terms apply and HTC grants you a personal, non-exclusive, nontransferable, limited license to use the Software in accordance with these Terms. HTC may automatically check your version of the Software and may automatically send your device or computer updates to the Software. These updates may include fixes, feature enhancements, improvements, and new versions of the Software. Software is licensed, not sold. Unless we notify you otherwise, the Software license ends when you close your HTC Account or cancel your subscription to any paid HTC Account Service corresponding with the Software. You must then uninstall the Software or HTC may disable it. You must not work around any technical limitations in the Software. You must not disassemble, decompile, or reverse engineer the HTC Account Services or any Software, except and only to the extent that the applicable law expressly permits doing so despite this limitation.
^Taken from HTC terms and conditions. Read the bold part.

What they are doing is unethical but not illegal. Don't like their behavior? Change the software.

again. just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. and no one reads the terms of use when installing or enabling software. so everyone had to wait until now to see what they paid for when they bought a htc device.

hopefully this incident would discourage more people from going for HTC devices. HTC deserves every lost sale because of this campaign. they had one billion dollars to pay to RDJ for stupid ads but they do not have the decency to treat their customers with respect.

they can go to hell.

The thing is that most users who are not tech savvy don't care for these issues. People have no problem with the fact that once they login on gmail or facebook, all their search history and browsing data is linked to their profile and is used by google or facebook to serve personalized ads. Collected data is sliced and diced and sold to third party aggregators where it is used to collect even more data and to serve ads.

I clear cookies on my browser and other temp files using ccleaner everyday but how many ordinary users do that? I guess 99.999% of internet users are not even aware of that thing called flash cookies.

So companies like Samsung take advantage of customers by putting some 40 useless apps on their phones that one can't uninstall, Dell installs google toolbars on IE on some PCs that come with preloaded windows and HTC has come up with this.

On my Samsung S3, Samsung had started sending ads as notifications and I disabled notifications for Samsung Galaxy apps to stop that BS. Actually HTC has been late to the party.

I make iOS and Android apps for living and it is not difficult to see that the whole android OS and ecosystem of google's apps is a gold mine of data for google that is effectively used by google to create comprehensive profiles of users and serve ads accordingly. If someone is using android phone then he should just forget about privacy. Now even the app developers have started to abuse android. Why would a simple battery meter app, that is supposed to see percentage battery left on S3, needs access to my call details and list of contacts?

iPhone, which is my primary device, is much better when it comes to privacy but is too expensive for most android users.

Most users just don't have any option but to smile and bear or go back to that 10 year old feature phone.

Back