I am addicted to High Definition ...Sounds crazy right ?

• Thread starter Thread starter netuser123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 3,934
Yupp...quantum dot display is almost great....
And by the way... I do not have a multi TB NAS.Rather,I have 5 DRIVES OF 4 TB FROM WD which I bought last year for archive purpose as deals were great...

I got the OnePlus TV a few months back and I can only watch 4K content. If something is not available in India, I fire up the VPN and watch all the 4K content I want from catalogs from different countries on services like Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and Hulu. HDR is also another thing that drives me towards watching high quality content because that stuff is just so pleasing, the colors and brightness just make the viewing experience so much better.

Hdr content on amoled screen are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen . I have seen some hdr content on OnePlus 7t and i couldn't take my eyes of it . I am pretty sure the hdr supported LCD phones cannot match even by miles..

Yup, difficult to watch hd channels on 4k tv unless its some news channel.

On a 4k tv, viewing a 2k digital intermediate movie in a 4k blu ray release has some advantages.
a. Upscaling has already be done accurately, instead of by 4k TV processor doing the upscaling on the fly.
b. Hdr. 10 bit color. (Color range is also supposed to be better. But I don't know its details.)

Even if one gets a 4k laser projector 😅🙏, and sets up a dedicated room, I'm not sure if the digital cinema package thingy (high bitrate ones) are commercially available, or how much it costs.

-edit 1--
Regarding the minimum bitrate, i feel it depends on the encode as well. Eg a movie encoded at slow settings, 18 CRF quality (variable bitrate) , on x265 codec, will be equivalent to the Blu-ray (~ 70-90 mbps). If one enables statistics while playing it on say a vlc player, you can see the uncompressed video bitrate go about 40mbps for extremely fast action scenes with a lot of background movement. Even the most ardent movie connoisseur would struggle to notice the difference on a 55' home tv.

Not sure about giant 100+ inch projectors though.

Last edited:
I got the OnePlus TV a few months back and I can only watch 4K content. If something is not available in India, I fire up the VPN and watch all the 4K content I want from catalogs from different countries on services like Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and Hulu. HDR is also another thing that drives me towards watching high quality content because that stuff is just so pleasing, the colors and brightness just make the viewing experience so much better.
May I please know the name of the VPN service you are using ?

Yes OLED currently suffer from screen burn and low brightness issues.
Yes burn-in is a big issue but brightness ? er i don't think its an issue at all. I agree that OLEDs are not as bright as QLEDs but brightness alone does not make a tv better. The deep blacks from the OLEDs and the contrast will take your movie watching experience to the next level. I own a LG oled and its a visual treat when I play 4K HDR & dolby vision content. My friend who owns a samsung QLED regrets his purchase after seeing my OLED.

I am a movie buff and watch content in UHD/FHD on 4K TV. I also spend considerable time at laptop.

I am planning to switch to a new laptop. Existing one has 1080p 15.6'' screen. Does it make sense to spend on 4K 15.6'' screen or stick to FHD 15.6'' one?

Which laptops do you guys suggest? There is no gaming need. Usage is mostly for multimedia. A gorgeous 15'' screen and portability would do.

Back