Status
Not open for further replies.

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
I&B ministry initiates action against Bharti Airtel for IPTV
Wednesday - Jun 25, 2008

The Information and Broadcasting (I&B) ministry has asked the Department of Telecom (DoT) to initiate action against Bharti Airtel for launching IPTV services without obtaining the requisite approvals.

While, Bharti in its response has said it has not launched commercial IPTV services, but was only doing pilots, the I&B ministry has told the DoT that private telcos have not been cleared to offer this service.

"Bharti Airtel in their reply to the (I&B) ministry have stated that they have not commercially launched IPTV services anywhere in India till date. However, it is understood that the pilot services launched by them which has so far not been allowed to be provided by the private service providers pending final policy decision in the matter. Therefore, the DoT is requested to initiate action against Bharti Airtel for unauthorisedly providing IPTV service," the I&B ministry said in its letter to the communications ministry.

While the I&B ministry wants the DoT to act against Bharti, it must however be pointed out that state-owned telcos such as BSNL and MTNL already offer full-fledged IPYV services. MTNL offers this service in both Delhi and Mumbai, while BSNL has launched this facility in several cities across India.

The I&B ministry has also said that it is in the process of 'formulation of the (IPTV) policy and has circulated a draft cabinet note seeking the views of various departments and ministries concerned, while adding that these views were awaited to put the guidelines in place.

I&B ministry initiates action against Bharti Airtel for IPTV | Televisionpoint.com News

so these idiots are goin to delay the plans of airtel...:P

not delaying, airtel is doing testing from now 2-3yrs and i dont think any1 can take so much time. it is they themselves who are delaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back