I need your suggestions to buy a new Wifi Router

• Thread starter Thread starter mahindar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 94
  • Views Views 13,152
Yes the configuration can be done without the internet and the same is true for lan transfer between pc and laptop.

-First note down the static ip from your pc (preferred ip, subnet mask and the gateway).

-Now by going to the network properties in windows go to network adapters properties and check ipv4 details. Make sure they dont have any preconfigured values, if they do just it for the time being to auto so that they recieve ip from router.

- Yes configuring the router wan to dynamic ip might have caused issues with local isp with the router getting assigned someone else ip (but thats your isp being lousy in using sound method but leave it). You need to go to network tab in router config and change the Wan connection to static and fill the ip details you noted. Use google dns if there is an option for dns setting. Check there after your internet is up or not, it should be if the ip details are correct.

- For lan transfers it's wise assign static local ip for each client. From windows configure the clients to static ip for e.g. 192.168.1.4 -pc 192.168.1.5 laptop and so on. Then enable share with network for the folders or volumes that you want to share by going into the properties, advanced sharing for each folder or volume.

From the other client, go to run and type \\192.168.1.x the ip of the other client and you'll see all the shared folder in windows explorer. You might need to enter windows user id _password if password protected sharing is on (check control panel).

Keep fiddling and googling, we all learnt the same way and were at same stage like you.

Ps - Be sure to check your router default ip, some router have different ip then 192.168.1.1

yeah after setting the "ipv4 to obtain automatically" i was able to open 192.168.1.1. I configured it as you said(selected "wireless router" and then "static ip") but didn't yet connected internet to wan. I will connect wan tomorrow b'coz if any problem comes it will be inconvenience to others in the night.

I will try to search a little from now on ;) . But One last question
-To connect to internet do i need to configure my pc once again with static ip as before or keep it as "obtain automatically"(b'coz i already configured router with static ip). My guess is not necessary to configure ;)

Last edited:
I have LAN Connection in my hostel room. Its like when I connect cable to may laptop port, I get connected to internet automatically.

I am trying to setup TP-Link router. Tried with the software which came in box. That got error, which showed wrong WAN. I had selected dynamic ip.

Once accidently, I had successfully configured the router but it was showing no internet access then.

Here is screenshot of ipconfig.

LPje4go.jpg

-To connect to internet do i need to configure my pc once again with static ip as before or keep it as "obtain automatically"(b'coz i already configured router with static ip). My guess is not necessary to configure ;)

You can keep it pc/laptop on automatic or assign a static ip as well. But notice this time the static ip config will be something like 192.168.1.x with subnet 255.255.255.0 and gareway address is 192.168.1.1 your router address which is handling the internet. You'll notice these are different from your ISP ip range.

The reason you were not able to access the router earlier was the same because your system was configured with a different ip subnet (range).

If you keep your devices on dhcp(auto config) map your devices as network drive windows using the device name e.g. Home-PC etc.(check systems properties in windows- workgroup domain etc) instead of pointing to a particular ip address, as dhcp keeps juggling ip addresses depending upon which devices connects first and how many connected. Static local ip is wise in such cases.

I have LAN Connection in my hostel room. Its like when I connect cable to may laptop port, I get connected to internet automatically.

I am trying to setup TP-Link router. Tried with the software which came in box. That got error, which showed wrong WAN. I had selected dynamic ip.

Once accidently, I had successfully configured the router but it was showing no internet access then.

Here is screenshot of ipconfig.

LPje4go.jpg

Which router? Anyway Open your router and locate the wan settings tab somewhere under network etc. Look for a static ip config option.

Then config the ip address as visible in the screenshot. The preferred ip is your static ip, subnet and default gateway will be same as in screenshot.

Then check the lan tab in the router must next to wan. Check dhcp is enabled.

Now the main point is you need to remove any existing ip config from your network adapters(wifi or ethernet whichever applicable) under network connections. Keep to ipv4 settings to get automatically. Remember your existing ip configured in system is in 172.x.x.x ip range while router is in 192.168.x.x range. Once a router is in the scenario you to keep your system to auto dhcp or give a static ip in the range 192.168.1.x of your wish.

If the wan static ip causes the internet not to work and choose dynamic ip option in wan and check, should work one way or other.

Which router? Anyway Open your router and locate the wan settings tab somewhere under network etc. Look for a static ip config option.

Then config the ip address as visible in the screenshot. The preferred ip is your static ip, subnet and default gateway will be same as in screenshot.

Then check the lan tab in the router must next to wan. Check dhcp is enabled.

Now the main point is you need to remove any existing ip config from your network adapters(wifi or ethernet whichever applicable) under network connections. Keep to ipv4 settings to get automatically. Remember your existing ip configured in system is in 172.x.x.x ip range while router is in 192.168.x.x range. Once a router is in the scenario you to keep your system to auto dhcp or give a static ip in the range 192.168.1.x of your wish.

If the wan static ip causes the internet not to work and choose dynamic ip option in wan and check, should work one way or other.

Sigh.. Finally configured. What I did just opened router page. Under Netword-> Wan for different settings, there was option of "Detect" also. Once it showed static. After reboot it showed dynamics and I 'renewed' settings. Now working smoothly.

Guys I'm facing connections drops with TP-Link w8968 :(. I searched on net found that this router has this issue. I even did a reset but no success. Now Should i return it or is there any solution for it?

Back