i want to know can i create two SSID or 2 access points on 1 modem

• Thread starter Thread starter AKS020
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 4,850

AKS020

ISP
none
i want to know can i create two SSID or 2 access points on 1 modem so i can disable 1 SSID or want to give SSID for temporary use to mine friend in same building , and other is for mine use . i mean i can disable 1 SSID anytime and 1 is permantent

You can have guest SSID on some routers.

first tell me why you want this? It;s of no advantage. As someone said earlier, you can have guest network in some router.

I imagine he wants to enforce restrictions and/or block hie friends access without affecting his devices. You may have this option natively in your router (as pointed out by mreccentric) else you will have to flash with DD-WRT or Tomato if compatible.

if he wants to block services, then he can do that using restricting ip ports.

Or with mac address filtering, i agree, but the ssid is simpler I think, he doesnt want to disclose his password to his friend too I imagine...

You can but not with Home router.
Only ISP radio/AP has feature to create unlimited SSID. That defines different channels for individual or some users to route requests through specific SSID for various application like static IP(You can say for auto login), to avoid interference if any around site.
In your case, you can bind speed, particular hours or timing through a day for friend and even you can also decide priority of maximum bandwidth and usage when two users online simultaneously.
These can be done in Linksys routers. I am unsure with D-Link routers. OR you can unleash router with DD-WRT.

rsatbf said:
if you can flash your router with ddwrt, you can set this up very easily. google your router and ddwrt and see if it is compatible
mine is MTNL 450TC1
mreccentric said:
first tell me why you want this? It;s of no advantage. As someone said earlier, you can have guest network in some router.
AS I posted in first post first SSID will be for me only
i dont want to reveal password to anyone
and if modems allows 2nd SSID i will give it to mine friend liviing in same building and then i can deactivate access point whenever i want for 2nd SSID and because mine first SSID will be on i think for 15 hours per day and only for mine use i dont want to share the password of that one .
yes if guest SSID can be possible then it will be good.

Back