ICS on bridged MTNL connection?

thekonfuser

ISP
MTNL Triband
The following is my current configuration:

[*]DSL-502T ADSL modem, configured for bridged mode (IP: 192.168.1.1).
[*]Desktop with an on-board LAN card and wifi PCI card, running XP SP2. I have created a dial up connection to connect (IP: 192.168.1.2).
[*]Laptop with a lan card and wifi, running XP SP2 (IP: tried both manual & DHCP).
[/list]I was able to access internet from both machines when I was using the PPPOE mode. Everything was working like a charm. But since I am on a limited plan (for the time being), I needed to control the access using a dialer, which I managed to do after reading very descriptive posts on this forum. But now that has happened, I cannot get the laptop to access internet. I searched not only this forum but even googlised for a possible solution to be able to access internet from laptop too. But havent found a way out yet. This is what i have tried:

Case 1:

[*]D-Link: 192.168.1.1, DHCP disabled.
[*]Desktop:
[*]LAN:
[*]IP 192.168.1.2
[*]SM: 255.255.255.0
[*]GW: 192.168.1.1
[*]DNS: 74.something (originally used by triband, got that from Firewall log).
[/list]
[*]Wireless (adhoc connection to laptop):

[*]IP 192.168.0.1
[/list]
[*]ICS enabled on the MTNL dialer connection for Wireless card.
[/list]
[*]Laptop:

[*]WIFI:
[*]IP Obtain automatically
[*]DNS Obtain automtically
[/list]
[/list]Case 2:

[*]DLink: 192.168.1.1, DHCP disabled.
[*]Desktop:
[*]LAN:
[*]IP 192.168.1.2
[*]GW: 192.168.1.1
[*]DNS: 74.something (originally used by triband, got that from Firewall log).
[/list]
[*]Wireless (adhoc connection to laptop):

[*]IP 192.168.0.1
[/list]
[*]ICS enabled on the MTNL dialer connection for Wireless card.
[/list]
[*]Laptop:

[*]WIFI:
[*]IP: 192.168.1.3
[*]DNS: Tried both, Obtain automatically and manual.
[/list]
[/list]Both the cases didnt work. I even tried enabling ICS for LAN on desktop for these cases, but that didnt work either. Am I missing out anything? Any kinda help will be really appreciated. I am hoping someone knows the answer.

I have never tried this myself... but u can give it a try...On ur Desktop... in Network Connections, create a New Connection... and select "Set up advanced connection", and create an "accept incoming connection". Then from ur laptop, connect to ur desktop using the similar mechanism....And ensure that ICS is enabled with all its services.

Guess what? Case 1 described in my first post, made it work out of the blue. I dont know how, but when I switched on my machines laptop was able to access internet without any issues. I didnt even change anything. Anyways, thanks Venkz for your suggestion. I really appreciate it. So now we have a solution in case anyone wants to enable ICS on bridged connection.

Back