• Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 2,280

mhsabir

Xclusive
Staff member
ISP
Jio & Hathway
Show ID-card while booking train ticket - The Times of India

From December 1, for booking a ticket in any reserved class of the train, a passenger will have to produce one of the prescribed proofs of identity failing which the said passenger will be treated as ticketless traveler and will have to pay fine accordingly.

This provision will, however, not affect the existing provision of Tatkal scheme where during the journey, the passenger is required to show the original proof of identity indicated on the ticket.

i do not understand the point. why is the id required at the time of booking a ticket?

Even I have been trying to make sense of that to be honest.

for booking a ticket in any reserved class of the train, a passenger will have to produce one of the prescribed proofs of identity failing which the said passenger will be treated as ticketless traveler and will have to pay fine accordingly.

Carrying ID-proof while travelling was already mandatory. So, it doesnt make sense if the article is referring to that.

And if you see the second sentence speaks as if the person is currently under the act of travelling. Merging together the sentences it sounds like "you need to show id while booking ticket, if you dont, we will give you ticket, but you will be treated as ticketless traveler" - :eek:

And apparently, a lot of people are leaving comments indicating the same confusion.

a lot of people book tickets online. how do they show id proof at time of purchase :)

Well, atleast that is linked to an ID. But yes, I dont see ID at booking being correct. But if it is while travelling, I thought it was already implemented - Was it not :Boy Think:

I think writer has misunderstood from wherever he wrote that article.And also this makes no sense. If i send peon for booking my ticket how will he prove my identity anyway?Or I myself will be forced to go to counter to buy ticket.

The only reason for me to even consider the headline is that ID while travelling was already implemented way back :|

So it would be ridiculous to say it is being implemented on Dec 1.

Hmm.. wait... On re-reading the article, I think carrying an ID is now extended to people who bought the ticket at the counter, earlier it was only when you bought it online.

Ministry of Railways has decided to extend the condition of carrying original proof of identity during travel on reserved tickets issued through Passenger Reservation System (PRS) for all reserved classes.

I think the article of TOI & also this thread headline needs to be changed :|

Earlier ID for travelling was required for online booking.

Then ID for travelling was required for AC/1st class tickets (even for one purchased from counter)

But recently there was announcement for compulsory ID proof for all reservation classes which will be implemented from 1-12-2012.

Just noticed scroller on Welcome to Indian Railway Passenger reservation Enquiry which says:

CARRYING ID PROOF IS COMPULSORY DURING TRAIN JOURNEY IN ALL RESERVED CLASSES FROM 01.12.2012

in normal sleeper class, it will take a long long time for TC to verify each passenger's ID proof.

Back