India bans BULK SMS/MMS, some relief from SMS spam for few days!

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 7,668

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
I was expecting warthog to post this.. but anyway .. he can still post his fumes. :D

FOXBusiness.com - India Bans Bulk SMS, MMS For 72 Hours Ahead Of Key Court Verdict

Ban may continue till 29 September instead of being lifted.
Bulk SMS MMS ban to continue till Sept 29: sources - CIOL News Reports

Updated: India Bans Bulk SMS For 3 Days; Why The Ban Won’t Work - MediaNama

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

We would have some relief from SMS spam for a week :D

I wud say SC shud keep postponing the verdict. Two benefits.. ppl wont fight (after verdict) and govt ban will keep on continuing :D

Prevents certain elements from spreading inflammatory messages and rumours.Additional benefit : I wont get offered to take a trip to Goa for 5999/- and buy a plot in some village for 450/sqf.

we live in pure unadulterated tyranny.So this is being done arbitrarily ,curtailing freedom of expression and not to mention police checking all vehicles in ayodhya.

So is it banned for all individuals/normal users or for promotional sms?

I just got a promotional SMS.. so apparently ban is not applicable.

Also ban is not applicable to individual i suppose. but just the bulk SMS service providers.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

like those who u give 1000s of numbers and ask them to send fixed SMS to all those numbers

It wont serve its purpose if its not a carpet ban. Bulk implies very large numbers.Trust in warthog to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Dear Customer,

The Department of Telecommunications, Government of India has requested that all bulk SMS services be banned for the next few days. Accordingly, you will not receive any SMS communication from Citibank, till the ban is lifted. You will continue to receive e-mail communication on the e-mail ID registered with us.

In the interim, if you wish to check your card details, we request you to login to Citibank Online with your credit card number and IPIN, at Credit Card, Loans, Investments, Insurance, NRI and Online Banking Services | Citibank India

You can also check key account information via CitiAlert on Demand, by sending the following messages to 52484 from your registered mobile number:

STMT XXXX - to retrieve the Total Amount Due, Minimum Amount Due and Payment Due Date

CARDBAL XXXX - to retrieve the outstanding amount on your Credit Card

(XXXX denotes the last 4-digits of your Credit Card number)

Sincerely,

Manager Customer Service
Citibank N.A.

This is non-sense, Government cant ban this thing randomly without any pre-planning. Banks and other basic facilities shud have been allowed to send such SMS.

Back