Indian government has full access to web traffic

Navjot Singh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Airtel

“All ILD [international long distance] and ISP [internet service provider] licensees are mandated to connect their systems to the CMS [Centralized Monitoring System] facility,” and “law enforcement agencies are provided facility for on-line and real-time monitoring of traffic,” the Internet Service Providers Association of India said in a filing with the Department of Telecommunications obtained by Entrackr under the RTI Act.

“This facility makes the obligation of providing physical space (10 work stations with access control) a redundant real estate facility at the Licensee gateway locations,” ISPAI said.

This submission indicates that the Indian government and law enforcement agencies have far wider and easier access to Indian internet users’ web traffic than previously known, and access to this data is so accessible remotely that physically visiting an internet provider’s premises is no longer required for government agencies.

I stopped using Opera (has inbuilt v̶p̶n̶ proxy) when there was hue and cry over Chinese apps. The irony is, now I suppose data with China is bit safer than here lol.

BTW Proton is coming with browser extensions soon. Should be easier for those who don't want system wide thing.

This is a sad but not entirely unexpected development given the rules on VPN/virtual server providers etc earlier this year. Nearly all Govts do this...only the degree of monitoring varies. For e.g. in the US - Mass surveillance in the United States and of course even overseas in different countries by the US NSA, CIA via the 9 eyes and the expanded 14 eyes group and domestically via the Patriot Act supposedly to monitor terrorism. But then no Govt. ever stops snooping on literally anything they want on anybody they want. The Indian Govt. can easily create a profile based on our credit and debit card usage, bank accounts, aadhar biometrics, work address in PF accounts, PAN number, mobile tracking data etc. In the UAE where my brother is based, facial recognition software does away with most manual immigration checks at airports. They scan your face and the system automatically lets you through immigration. Frankly Govts dont really give a damn about citizen privacy in the name of national security.

Back