Iphone 4 related query

• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 4,066
Thanks for your help mate. If you don't mind I have another question.
Since my phone isn't jailbroken, can I update the firmware (iTunes tells me to) without risking anything? And do you think it is worthwhile for me to jailbreak my phone?

Always glad to help. 

I would suggest you do your research before you update firmware. I'm not sure if Apple has patched the flaw that helped the Gevey SIM to work. Let me check on this, I'll let you know soon.

This is the reason I bought an officially unlocked iPhone 4. It doesn't make sense to buy a locked iPhone any longer. With each new firmware release Apple has made it harder to unlock them. That means eventually you will be stuck at some firmware version and won't be able to update to new firmware any longer. Since most of Apple's advancements/ features are added through the iOS software, you wouldn't have the full feature set cos you can't upgrade to new firmware.

On your last question.. Should you jailbreak? That is a very personal decision. Jailbreaking your device will allow you to add and try out several tweaks/hacks/themes on your device. Some of which are really good to have. I have an unlocked iPhone but I have jailbroken my device to be able to use some of those tweaks & hacks.

Thanks mate! I really appreciate your help :-)

Just noticed something.I downloaded an app that connects to facebook and syncs your friend's pics to your contact list. Initially I was unable to use the app and it kept giving me an error that it could not connect to facebook. Then I logged onto fb from my laptop - disabled secured browsing and restarted the app on my phone. It worked now!I was wondering if there is an option in the iPhone which needs to be enabled to allow apps to access secured connections. Perhaps a reason why I am unable to log into gmail and app store?

There isnt any option for secured connections on the iPhone that I am aware of. Everything just works for me. Are you trying to set it up using the Gmail option under Mail settings? I am assuming you have IMAP activated on your Gmail account. Did you try setting up your Gmail account using the Exchange option under Mail settings? If not, you could see if it works that way.

Ya. Tried both. IMAP is also activated. Dunno what the issue is. Android was definitely easy when it came to noobs! :-D

It's not about Android being easy.. iOS makes a lot of things very simple. I think the issue might be because of the Gevey SIM. Like I mentioned before, there are a lot of issues associated with iPhone 4s that are not officially unlocked.

I too have configured my gmail on iPhone .. and it was really simple .. It just asked for username and pass .. rest of the settings r already in there .. May be rodeoz hasn't activated IMAP access from his gmail settings ..Only thing I wanna change is the frequency of checking emails . The minimum we can go for is 15mins .. I want it 5 mins ..

@rodeoz I was searching on the web and found this article...
http://www.redmondpie.com/unlock-ios-4.3.5-on-iphone-4-with-gevey-sim/

It seems like the Gevey SIM unlock still works with the latest iOS version as Apple has not made any baseband updates. So you should be able to update to the current iOS version (4.3.5) CIA iTunes and still have your unlock. But there are several different versions (Turbo / Supreme / Ultra) of the Gevey SIM out there and I don't know which one you are using.

My suggestion: Back up you iPhone on iTunes. Take it back to the guy you bought it from & ask him if your Gevey SIM will work if you update the OS. If he says yes, ask him to do it for you. It will save you a lot of trouble.

Thanks Garfield DC. I will do the same! :-)

rodeoz just a small question... How much did u buy the locked iPhone 4 for... Just asking coz the factory unlocked ones are available for around 31-32K...

Back