IPv6 setup on your router behind JIO router

• Thread starter Thread starter bhojv74
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 19,622
How are you guys getting ipv6 , mine only shows ipv4 even though router is on both mode.

I am facing the exact same issue.

I am using JioFi 2 which is in a pass throgh to pfSense VM via proxmox.

The pfSense VM can get a IPv6 address and it's also accessible from the internet. But the lan network behind the firewall can't grab the IP directly from the ISP via the Jiofi router.

I've heard it's mainly because the jiofi router is in gateway mode, but actually it should be in Bridged mode to work.

But no idea if we could change the modes of the jiofi router, don't think that's possible either.

@ShihabSoft The JioFi only gives a single IPv6 address, it's the same even if you use a Jio sim on an LTE router.
Mobile connections doesn't seem to support IPv6 prefix delegation which is necessary for your LAN devices to get IPv6 addresses.

@ShihabSoft The JioFi only gives a single IPv6 address, it's the same even if you use a Jio sim on an LTE router.
Mobile connections doesn't seem to support IPv6 prefix delegation which is necessary for your LAN devices to get IPv6 addresses.
As @royalroy mentioned, yes each client directly connecting to the JioFi router gets an unique public routed ipv6 address. That means they do handout public IPs for their directly connected clients, but not just through a router to router mode, because the device itself is in a gateway mode or something. I've heard from other forums that, the router (jiofi) should be in switched to bridged mode for this to happen, bridged mode will act as if our LAN devices behind pfSense firewall are directly connected to the jiofi hence they could get a public ipv6 address..

Interesting, I've not seen that happening at all whenever I have tried with a JioFi. So I use a outdoor LTE device with a Jio sim and I have been able to get only a single IPv6 public address. I have not investigated much though as I always thought it is not possible. Will do some testing in that case.

My outdoor LTE device is in bridge mode and my main OpenWRT router is what gets the main IP address etc.

Last edited:
From whatever I've collected, Jio gives a /64 prefix, which means only one network and thus anything directly connected to their router will get an IPv6. But for other networks (sub networks)to get an IpV6, like another router after JIO, the prefix should have been at least /60 which is a standard practice elsewhere outside India.

Back