is it so easy to hack bsnl broadband password?????

• Thread starter Thread starter onlytest
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 48,594

onlytest

Regulars
ISP
MTNL Freedom 800 Combo
while surfing i opened this blog, Techbook List of BSNL DataOne Registrants, and after seeing what are its containt, i understood that it is very easy to hack bsnl broadband's user name and password.

i have 500home and i am using it between 02:00 to 08:00 only, if someone hacked my id and password, and only used for remaining 18 hours for only one day he can download minimum 500X18 = 9000 MB data which costs me around Rs 11,200/- for a single day.

is there any way to stop these type of hacking, this is my experience that bsnl does not has port binding or something alike. i checked my friend's user:pass and successfully connected to internet to test whether user:pass can be used on any broadband connection.

BSNL is implementing port-binding all over India. Maybe sooner or later it will be implemented on your exchange too.

@onlytest :
if someone hacked my id and password, etc
Unquote
Now you have hacked your friend's ID/password.Advise him to change it!
Question is how the ID and password is /hacked/accessed? !ONLY BSNL staff can access it .
I have tried, my friend's ID and password and did not succeed. in my BB connection.
.( same TF exchange)
because he lost his internet connection and I was trying to restore it.
But could access the usage web site.

This could be one of the reason, why a PORTAL ID/password is now given for checking usage.
Did you get it ?, (if you are a new user. )

Better check your usage regularly.

PS: I have downloaded a file BSNL users for dec from the web site you have quoted.
Version DUF 1.5 is included in the file. a list of "BSNL" userIds with passwords
and an advertisement promotional file.. It is upto you to believe or not.

i bet some of these free BSNL "usage checkers" are secretly emailing people's passwords to the author! like that DUF or ShaPlus or whatever, thats why i dont use them! Only DataFox seems to be safe since its JavaScript/XML based which you can see all the code running... but i dont even use that... (anyways im on UL plan)

dont keep ur router accessible from outside and keep a strong password, and u wud be safe.

Port-binding is the best bet against password theft. Even if someone gains knowledge about the user credentials of a stranger, port binding would make it useless. Lucky for me, in Kerala all the connections are already port bound. So even if i distribute my username and password, noone will be able to use it :) Still precautions are to be taken :(

Port Binding:1.In simple terms like NETONE connection. Your telephone number is you ID and , you cannot log in from any where else.2.Whereas with sancharnet dialup ID/password you could use any telephone.3.Long back VSNL also gave the facility ( i think was called "crackblok" ) as in (1) for an extra fee.Better to monitor usage locally and compare with BSNL's web site regularly.Para two : If this is possible, as claimed, I can be prevented, from usingmy OWN acct, if the "Hacker" changes the password also, and "Hijack" my connection.Then I have to request BSNL to reset the password again and reset my modem settings.

Back