Is something wrong globally? (Cogent-TATA Peering Mess)

Sorry for my dumb question but if peering should be free then how will they make money and lay cables? Tier 1 providers lay cables right? And ultimately all the money goes to them for the bandwidth as far as i can understand how Internet works

By cables i mean undersea

The undersea cables are a maintained as consortium. No one ISP owns an entire major undersea cable.

I was working in NTT, during the similar Cogent-NTT de-peering fiasco.
It was a nightmare.

@Lolita_Magnum can you tell us exactly what's happening here? Reading all the reddit comments and your discussions will make sense once I get the key to the real deal. Is it that Tata is blocking traffic from cognet peering that's coming from outside India? What's this fuss about?

Currently, Cogent has completely one-sidedly de-peered with Tata, i.e., Cogent has blocked all routes to and from Tata. (BGP up, but no exchange)

Any ISPs/Network that rely solely on Tata to reach any network in or behind Cogent cannot reach it, similarly any ISP/Network solely behind Cogent cannot reach Tata.
(Unless one of them re-routes through a different ISP/Network) In such situations, that kind of trading would not be settlement free and would come with a very high increased latency and cost for both.

Right now, ISPs like Excitel who solely use Tata for transit and Tata customers itself cannot directly reach to Cogent.

The re-route to Cogent from Tata is going via GTT and from US only.
So, if you want to reach Cogent EMEA, then it'd go to GTT first in US causing from a normal latency of 120 to 370ms, added congestion and a million additional hops. (But that's very restrictive, i.e., only some routes)

Last edited:
A long time ago, there was a similar fiasco between Hurricane Electric and Cogent.
Till to this day, they have not yet peered directly.

Cogent customers currently might be having a hard time reaching Google, as that is solely behind Tata for them in US.

Last edited:
Ohh, now I got it. Do you have any IP's so I can ping cognet to from my excitel connection to test out whatever is happening. How traffic is being routed and whether this is also happening with other providers such as Vi, Jio etc.

@unnecessary It's a non-issue for an ISP if they have an additional transit provider or if they completely do not use Tata to route or advertise.

For them, it should work like normal.

@akshay71 If your ISP is advertising its IPs only via Tata, then you'd have issue reaching Cogent as well. (i.e., Cogent cannot reach you)

Back