Is TATA SKY transponder capacity exhausted?????

• Thread starter Thread starter Abhishekk
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 7,927
How many transponders are owned by each DTH operator? Is a compiled list with the satellite name and location available?

Tata Sky can switch to mpeg4. They Shud replace all mpeg2 STBs for a nominal replacement charges, and free replacement for mega pack subscribers shud be der... Wat say???

I have not bees successful in locating the following data; Will be much obliged if the data is provided by the forum members.1. Satellite used by the dth operators - Airtel, Big tv, Dish tv, Sun direct, Tata Sky.2. Number of transponders owned/ rented by each operator.3. Total number of standard channels, hd channels and interactive services.The aim is to evaluate how many channels can be packed in one transponder.

How many transponders are owned by each DTH operator? Is a compiled list with the satellite name and location available?

You can check the details on :

Tata Sky on Insat 4A at 83.0°E - LyngSat

Dish TV on NSS 6 at 95.0°E - LyngSat

Big TV on Measat 3 at 91.5°E - LyngSat

Sun Direct on Insat 4B at 93.5°E - LyngSat

Sorry, but i dont know details about D2H and Airtel.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I have not bees successful in locating the following data; Will be much obliged if the data is provided by the forum members.

1. Satellite used by the dth operators - Airtel, Big tv, Dish tv, Sun direct, Tata Sky.
2. Number of transponders owned/ rented by each operator.
3. Total number of standard channels, hd channels and interactive services.

The aim is to evaluate how many channels can be packed in one transponder.

You can check it on the links i hv given.... TS currently has 15 to 16 channels in each transponder. der is some space in some TP's

Do any of the provider have more than 12 KU band TP's? If no then how do they have more channel? If yes then Tata Sky will have to increase the Tp's space.

No one have more Tp's, to the best of my knwldge. In case of dish , they use DD signals, so they have more channels. All other have mepg4, so they can have double channels than TS. Only TS is in worst position. neither have another satellite, nor have mpeg4 compression. i think i hv made a mistake by choosing TS. Its not a prob currently for me with the channel content of TS. But they must reduce their package rates.

Do any of the provider have more than 12 KU band TP's? If no then how do they have more channel? If yes then Tata Sky will have to increase the Tp's space.

Dude. Other DTH ops apart from TS and Dish tv are on MPEG-4, MPEG-4 allows the op to add more channels in one TP compared to MPEG-2 ops. They can add 25 channels in one TP's wheread MPEG-2 ops can add 15.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Airtel has 7 TP's on Insat 4CR

D2H is on STI @ 88 E

Some tech data:Dish Tv: Sat NSS 6, 95 East - 7 Transponders digital Encrypted (mpeg2); 1 transponder mpeg4 - HDBig Tv: Sat Mesat, 91.5 East - 7 transponders mpeg4Sun Direct: Insat 4B 93.5 East - 7 transponders mpeg4TataSky: Insat 4A 83 East - 11 Transponders mpeg2, 1 transponder mpeg4 - HDAirtel: Insat 4CR 74 East - 7 Transponders mpeg4Both TS and Dishtv have allocated a full transponder for HD; may be because of mpeg2 - mpeg4 mixing.Now one can list the no. of standard and HD tv channels, interactive services, music and other services offered by all to compare utilisation of transponder capacity.

TS was clever enough to book max no. of transponders but have taken the unwise decision to go for mpeg2. But 4 years ago, almost all the dth operators in the world were in mpeg2 domain. Definitely, TS did not expect the tremendous growth in tv channels. They should have at least supplied mpeg4 stbs from the beginning as mpg4 stb is compatible with mpeg2; at least from the user side, there will be no limitation and switching on to mpeg4 will be relatively easy. Even now, if TS decides to upgrade the mpeg2 stbs in the field (TS+ and HD stb, and I understand even the new standard stbs are mpeg4) to mpeg4, TS will be miles ahead of its competitors in terms of capacity. If the govt removes the foreign investment limits, sky will invest a lot and upgrade.

You are forgetting DD Direct+ at 93.5 East - 5 TranspondersThis gives Dish TV with effectively 13 Transponders in Total, and Sun Direct 12and Big TV 12, as they do not have to carry the mandatory DD channels on their own TPs and get extra channels from DD Direct+. Now imagine Dish TV was mpeg 4 it could beat every other competitor hands down. Sun Direct and Big TV being MPEG4 have the best advantage among all. Now Tata Sky comes out to be the only stupid one who has its own 12 TP (The highest in the sector) but still has fewer channels than the competition.

Yep TS has huge disadvantage, they need more transponders for same no. of channels.

Back