Issues in getting BSNL FTTH conn and Why BSNL FTTH modem is highly priced (more than 10K) when netlink-gpon-ont-secure-ont is available under 1000 Rs

• Thread starter Thread starter josepaul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 6,518
ISP
bsnl
I have been trying to get a BSNL FTTH connection from OFC that is going just in front of my house, but BSNL outsourced it to a local cable provider and they said they will give connection only from their FTTH Line which is going almost one kilometre far off and i have to pay the cost of cable extra cable till my house. When i contacted the bsnl office they said they are not providing any connection by themselves, so they wont give a connection from near by BSNL FTTH line and any FTTH connection has to be given by Local Provider (which essentially means i wont be getting connection from BSNL FTTH which is passing through right in front of my house and i should pay for 1 KM OFC cable and other costs), is there anything that i can do about it? I dont have any other providers in my area since its a village area.

BSNL Division: Ernakulam

Also any suggestions on selecting FTTH modem is greatly appreciated, should i go with BSNL FTTH modem or go with Netlink-GPON-ont-secure-ont which is less costly, why is it less costly?

The OFC that is going right in front of your house, are you referring to underground fiber with an OFC marker on the side of the road? If so that is most likely long-distance point to point fiber connecting their exchanges or a PoP (Point of presence). They will not be able to give an FTTH connection from that, even if BSNL is directly providing a connection.

Are there other potential customers in your area who would be willing to take a connection? If so the LCO may be motivated to pull the required cable at a lesser cost.

The ONT pricing from BSNL hasn't been updated for long, perhaps many years. It was probably fixed at a time when the prices were much higher. Also, the ONT provided by BSNL included a battery backup unit. Either way, those prices doesn't make sense now, and I don't think they'd let you purchase it at that price as the connection is through an LCO. The cable operator usually provides the ONT device.

Yes, you could go for the basic Netlink ONT device, it is dual-mode so it would work with both EPON and GPON (this depends on the LCO's equipment, but since its dual mode, you wouldn't need to worry) -- ONT-GPON-NETLINK SECURE ONT BEST SECURE FIREWALL USED

Last edited:
Thank you @varkey for the swift and detailed response.
The one that is going infront of my house is to my neighbours connection, they got it installed by bsnl when FTTH was newly introduced in our area, bsnl was promoting it then and sadly not anymore and they have outsourced it to LC.
To add to my unluck there are no other prospective customers, its just us, me and my neighbour!!

Ah, I see. Well, it's their policies so can't really do much, but you could try raising your concern (about them not providing a connection despite having the fiber going right in front of your house) on Twitter. Also, submit a grievance through this link http://pgrms.bsnl.co.in/pgs/internet/pgwebregn.asp

Regarding the ONT device, as I mentioned, if the connection is through an LCO, then you may not even have the option to get the modem on rent (although these things do vary depending on the area). Anyway even if it was possible to rent, I would recommend purchasing the ONT device yourself. As it's relatively cheap, it doesn't make sense to pay a rent of Rs 1080 + tax per year when you can purchase it for the same price.

Ah, I see. Well, it's their policies so can't really do much, but you could try raising your concern (about them not providing a connection despite having the fiber going right in front of your house) on Twitter. Also, submit a grievance through this link http://pgrms.bsnl.co.in/pgs/internet/pgwebregn.asp

Regarding the ONT device, as I mentioned, if the connection is through an LCO, then you may not even have the option to get the modem on rent (although these things do vary depending on the area). Anyway even if it was possible to rent, I would recommend purchasing the ONT device yourself. As it's relatively cheap, it doesn't make sense to pay a rent of Rs 1080 + tax per year when you can purchase it for the same price.

I was also thinking the same. Thanks a ton for the super detailed clarifications and suggestions. You really rock sir..

Since this is out of stock can you suggest a good alternative model?

The online market for ONTs isn't that great, as most of the time the ISP or the operator provides the device (well, at a higher price ;)) You could try reaching out to Netlink over phone, they do have offices in Ernakulam, so you could procure it offline too.

Check IndiaMart too -- Gpon Ont(1ge Secure Ont)(v2801sg) Netlink

Also note that the same device is being sold with different brand names, it's all made by the same OEM.

...Wow..thats great... i will check those options out. I may not take help from LCO, instead going for some "workarounds" so i may have to procure the ONT by myself!! Thanks alot for the insights, Work From Home requirements make me go crazy now, i was just content with JioFi device!!

Taking a moment to appreciate your
Deep Knowledge in the area,
Articulation skills, all the answers were neatly framed and typed, absolute class ,
Patience to answer my specific queries in this extreme late hours.

Thank you so much.

One small tip from me : Try to contact DGM BSNL EKM ( You will get his email address from BSNL Kerala site ) and raise your concern. I had your kind of issues( LCO was not willing to give BSNL connection) and I went through this route.

Back