JioFiber Centrum Router not using custom DNS?

• Thread starter Thread starter SRoy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 5,718
@SRoy you can also just reset the router or during initial installation, you can just let him know that you'd like to make configuration yourself hence you do not want him to set any passwords.
The latter one is what I did.

This is just sad how not easy it is to change even the dns in Jio

Reviving this thread again because I found a new post about this topic, but I don't think changing the WAN settings is the proper way to set custom DNS.
@olita_Magnum could you let me know if it is? In the video/screenshot the person posted, they put a static IP address, but Jio doesn't keep our IPs static.

The only 2 ways I've found are to either set custom DNS in all my devices or turn off DHCP on Jio Router and use a secondary router/RasPi for DHCP.

EMwkdyV.png

Since the last post, I've also changed the domain name from router.lan to local. Either don't really seem to do anything. If there are other suggestions for this let me know

jcUfwJt.png

I think Jio has these things to default after a reboot is for a good reason (Mostly for its STB box).
The domain name has nothing to do with DNS, and sadly there is no fix for a locked down hardware.

Do note that you need to add some DNS records (I don't remember what) in order to ensure your STB box continues to work.
  1. For the WAN, what I remember doing is that I just copied the current WAN configuration (except DNS) and then the configuration was persistent after reboot. (Not sure if this is patched) This worked for me, but in this way your Jio router acts as DNS proxy.
  2. Alternatively, the best way would be to use an external DHCP server. (either via some router, AP or pi hole.)

I had IPv4 DNS changed in this IPv4 WAN settings. I didn't touch anything other than DNS and it was working fine.

Disabled IPv6 at that time because it was slower in many cases and couldn't completely disable Jio DNS on it.

Also, set top box works fine even with Cloudflare and Google DNS. Maybe IPTV won't work, but JioTV+ and other apps work fine.

Thanks @Zuke and @Lolita_Magnum, I have been able to set a custom DNS on IPv4 Configuration works, as there's a separate tab for DNS.
kPHzwKW.png

However, for IPv6 Configuration, I can't set the DNS without also setting a static IP address along with it. Keeping the other spaces empty and only entering the DNS does not work :( Do you guys have any ideas on how to set it for IPv6?

DjUqTGW.png
ed2Vyn1.png
8qF0Z2t.png
YL4bBW9.png

I'd also like to let people know that when I change the WAN IPv4 DNS to NextDNS.io the VoIP stops working. The Registration status becomes red x cross. It works when I change the DNS, but once I reboot the router, it stops working. I guess it initially needs Jio DNS to successfully connect to the VoIP servers.
sYD3UFG.png

Back