• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 5
  • Views Views 1,262

manu1991

Ancient Philospher
ISP
Hyperoptic
So I am travelling to Hong Kong next week and was looking to buy a tablet since my Nexus 7 had conked off a few months ago. 7" tablets feel too small to me and 10" is too large so I have decided to get a 8-8.5" one. I had zeroed in on these two and the iPad Mini 2. After some deliberation, I have decided to stick to Android only. Are there any other options available in this size? Key differences in specs are G Pad has a 1920x screen vs a 2560x on the Samsung (doesnt really matter to me, both are pretty high res) but based on youtube videos, the quality of Samsung's screen seems to be better. Processor is Snapdragon 600 vs Snapdragon 800 on the Samsung and a better camera. Rest looks more or less similar. Price is around 17k for LG and around 24k for Samsung. LG's track record for Android updates seems a bit sketchier than Samsung and I don't think this tablet sells a lot. Which one would be a better choice?
My main uses would be reading Manga, playing games occasionally and streaming off a NAS,

^^ Given your previous history you are not even allowed to think about Apple stuff :D
After seeing mom rock her gold 5S, I feel jealous :tongue:. My LG G2 looks very poor in comparison. I will seriously consider upgrading to next iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 (If 6 has bigger screen ) as I also need fingerprint sensor if it has one.

Upvote 0
I think it also does not have Wireless AC. Since I have a AC router, I refuse to buy anything that is not supporting AC standard.
I would wait for it to support that in next revision. I also want my iPad to have a touch sensor. It's so convenient.
Mini is powerful to play 1080p but wireless N hinders wireless streaming.

Upvote 0
I have Qnap TS-412.
So I use their Qfile app on iOS and Android. It supports playback of all video types. MKV too. Currently hardware decoding is not supported for mkv on iOS. So the playback stutters on my ipad 3 since its software emulation. Battery goes down quickly as a result. But 1080p mp4 videos stream and play flawlessly on it.

On LG G2, every file of every resolution up to 1080p plays perfectly with hardware decoding enabled. while decoding.

Upvote 0
Back